Thread: Target finishes are impressive!

Target finishes are impressive!

I have been a traditional fellow with finishes, using Waterlox, General Finishes, shellacs etc. until just recently. I decided I would move from the oils and poly finishes to water based, and so I tried Target Finishes and I am very impressed. It is far easier, it sprays well, and best of all I was able to create a glaze from their grain fillers that works just as good as if it were oils. I dyed the clear fillers with transtint dye, and the outcome is outstanding. I am not sure how broad based the use of the water based lacquer, varnish, shellacs and grain fillers are, but I am a convert!

Harley,
    Could you share the recipe for the glaze?

Thanks

I have been using their lacquers for years and love them. I get as deep a shine as with cat laquers. I like the part about clean up with water. Wow that is worth the price right there.
    John T.

WB Lacquers & Target

John & Harley,what type of sprayer do you use to was the WB lacquers?With the rising cost of thinners even on a hobbist level its getting expensive.I use the Binks Mach 1 w/2qt pot and I have the Devilbiss 670I gravity feed cup sprayer,which I puchase to help cut back on clean up.Who sells Target finishes over the net and wondering who sales it local in the Houston Tx area?Nice thread on a good subject---Carroll

Conrad, the glaze I made was for a jeweler's regulator clock case I am making for my sister in law. I made the case of 1/4 sawn oak and I wanted a lighter mission finish. I sprayed the case with a initial coat of target gloss varnish, let it rest for a day and then I sanded it flat with 400 sand paper using a Festool ro sander. I then used a quarter of a quart of clear Target grain filler and put in a teaspoon of vintage maple transtint dye, shook it good and then brushed it liberally on the case and wiped it off after a few minutes. If a person is doing a large area I think you should spray the glaze and wipe it off pretty quickly because it does dry fast, a drying inhibitor might be needed on large surfaces. I was really impressed with the outcome. Not much of a recipe but it sure did work well.

Caroll, I have an Asturo gravity feed gun and I use the 1.5 tip with the varnish. Check out this site, it gives a lot of information on spraying water based materials and it is why I changed. It is not a sales piece, just information on how well the water based stuff works and describes the equipment used to get professional results. http://www.targetcoatings.com/images...ngsManualR.pdf