Thread: Sea Bean Pedestal - Advice Needed - Hopefully better explained

Sea Bean Pedestal - Advice Needed - Hopefully better explained

A few years ago I bought my wife a bowl of sea beans and shells. I came on a wood pedestal. A while later the pedestal warped causing a spilling of the beans. Not good. Here is a picture of the beans and shells on a glass cake holder.

beans on glass.jpg

Here is a picture of the old pedestal and metal plate. The metal plate was glued to the glass on one side and glued to the pedestal base on the other side. The pedestal is made up of the plate and the base, both of which are 2 piece glued together.

old pedestal.jpg

I made this new pedestal out of cherry.

new pedestal.jpg

Here is a picture of the pedestal with metal plate.

new pedestal with plate.jpg

The question is what would be a good adhesive to glue the metal plate to the bottom of the glass bowl? My thoughts are not to attach the metal to the pedestal, but just sit on it so if the wood moves it will not cause a problem. There may be better ideas, and I would like to hear them. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks for looking,

Steve
    Last edited by steven carter; 02-12-2010 at 8:44 AM. Reason: Better explain the problem
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Clear silicone caulk

Steve,

I'd use clear silicone caulk. Of course, I don't know that I would glue it down. I'd assume the weight of the glass and contents would hold everything in place.

Metal plate

I might leave off the metal plate, if it does nothing except sit there. Let the wood of the base show. Looks a lot better than that plate. You did a great job on the pedestal, don't hide it.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

I'd use the spray adhesive by 3M called Super 77 or 700r. Bond the plate to the wood and it will not move.

Shuck the steel plate, and put a dab of silicone right in the middle of the pedestal, that would keep the base on the glass and let the wood move as it will with humidity changes.
    Have fun and take care

Agree with Leo - one dab of silicon right in the middle will allow the wood to move without breaking the seal.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Sorry everyone, I guess I didn't explain it well enough. The bottom of the glass is open. If you look at the plate you can see where it was glued previously, inside the glue ring is where the beans and shells rest. In other words if I turn the glass upside down it looks like a closed form bowl.

Steve

Is the top of the glass bowl open also ? I mean as it sits in the 1st photo?

There is a clear one-part epoxy that potters (and others) use called E6000. Comes in a single squeeze tube at most any craft store. Stays fairly flexible. Might work for you.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Don,

In the 1st photo the top in closed. It's like a hollow doughnut, filled with the beans and shells. In the 1st photo, the bottom is open. It was glued to the plate to keep the stuff in.

Steve

Gotcha ! I think the E6000 will work for that. It sticks most anything to most anything else. It also dries water clear if you can keep bubbles out.

Nice base by the way !

There is a website called "this-to-that" (I think) which has info about gluing things together.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Don,

Thanks, I googled E6000, and this sounds like it will be just the ticket.

Steve