Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: telemarketers

telemarketers

I have been getting many annoying phone calls from a bank with the initials WF. They keep wanting a person that does not live here. We keep telling them that and to take our number off the list. They say fine we will do that and 2 hours later the same call. We've had at least 30 calls. What do you do?

Sounds like they're tracking down a dead beat rather than telemarketing. Are they calling on a land line? If so just ask for a new phone number.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Next time tell them you have talked with your attorney, and will sue for invasion of privacy. Worked for me.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Bruce,

I had the same problem last year, different creditor. They were looking for someone with the last name of Williams. After several discussions about the difference in the last names, and stating repeatedly that I was not related to the person they were looking for, I asked to speak to the person's supervisor. This was after daily calls for two weeks. It took another week for my number to get removed from their records.

Mr. Williams was one of my neighbors three years ago but I never met him. I'm sure he randomly picked a bogus number to give out, but I sure wish it wasn't mine.

Try asking for a supervisor. If you can call block, just block the number.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 02-10-2010 at 12:50 PM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I've been getting 1 or 2 calls a night from 800 or 866 numbers. When I answer nobody is talks. I think they are telemarketers but can't be sure. I'm on the no call list but evidently there is a way around it.

I have one of those little Radio Shack black boxes that filters out 99% of the unwanted calls that are computer generated, asking to talk to a supervisor filters out the rest.
    David B

Blog Entries
    Usually you need to ask for a supervisor and explain that they have the wrong number for their client and that if they persist you will file a complaint. Or if they have a call back number call that number and explain the problem.

When all else fails try an air horn.......
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Tell WF to go ahead and repo the car.

Stop B/S Calls

Talk to a supervisor, get their name and fax number. then put it in writting and fax it to them several times and it will stop for a year or so. Then you might have to do it again. Worked for me.
    Good Luck,

Dave

Call WF's corporate headquarters and dail or ask for the CEOs office by name. You won't get him (probably, but I did talk to the CEO of Tween Brands a few months ago) but an admin will probably take it serious and make something happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Watkins View Post
    I've been getting 1 or 2 calls a night from 800 or 866 numbers. When I answer nobody is talks. I think they are telemarketers but can't be sure. I'm on the no call list but evidently there is a way around it.
    That's a call center. I had a customer that used that system before the "do not call" list, now he sends people door-to-door.

The computer makes the calls, and the human only picks up after you answer, if not already on the phone. Sometimes it could take 10-15 seconds, but meanwhile you hang up and the computer tries again later. While legitimate bill collectors use this too, most of the annoying ones are the result of filling out entries to contests at fairs or stores to win a prize. That gets them around the "do not call" because you have given them written permission to call by filling out the entry blank.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

How to prank a telemarketer.

http://howtoprankatelemarketer.ytmnd.com/

Mike
    Colonial Plantation Shutters
    Start your own easy-to-run business making Plantation Shutters

Prank

God I love that. I almost spit coffee all over my keyboard.

Mike, how do you keep from busting out laughing when doing this? No phone calls yesterday, maybe they had there quota for the week.

Scam emails come by telephone now

Although I'm used to reading scam emails, I was very surprised to get a similar scam phone call. It was something like this:

ME: Hello?

X: Hello, is this Stephen?

ME: Yes. Who's calling.

X: [ speaks without an accent but as if he is reading the words from a paper] This is Charles Metz of United Parcel Service. I am calling in regards to a check for 205 million dollars that is to be delivered to your address today.

ME: Send it right over. [ Then I hung up.]