Thread: Natural Edge Bowl Finish

Natural Edge Bowl Finish

I have about 15 maple and walnut natural edge bowls that I need to put a finish on. They're all under 10 inches in diameter. I'd like to dip them in a finish. Anyone have any suggestions on what kind of finish I should use? I have about a half gallon of Clear Alkyd Gloss varnish that I'd like to use. Any good home brew recipes out there??

Just me, but I like a more natural looking finish.
    I spray the bark with flat or satin lacquer to stableize, and use Mylands sanding sealer everywhere else, sand, then one or two coats of Antique oil.
    Then I buff, but buffing could be skipped if you have no buffer.

I do like Mike does. For me a NE with a high gloss just doesn't look as good as one with a satin or flat look to it. JMO.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Dipped finishes always remind me of bar tops with a pour on 1/4" finish.
    Bud Light and Heavy Acrylic.

I don't use sanding sealer but just give it a liberal dose of Antique oil and wipe off the excess after 10 minutes or so. It will help strengthen the bark especially after 3 coats. If I want it as natural as I can get I use a brushing lacquer on them. I put a liberal amount on and after it has soaked for a while I wipe of the excess. The next 2 coats are light coats and left to dry.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

My dipping mix is 2 gal. mineral spirits + 1 gal. BLO + 1 qt of spar varnish. It will darken what ever you put in it but leaves a nice soft finish. Recipe came from a club member so I can't take credit. If you like you can put just about any finish over the top of this oil. Satin if you want to keep it that way or gloss if you want to shine it up.

Bernie,
    Brushing lacquer: Gloss, satin or flat?