Thread: Corian Sign Questions for Keith or others?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Corian Sign Questions for Keith or others?

Hello, I fell upon a piece of white corian that was an old countertop for an island in a kitchen. I have cut it down into manageable sizes with a skill saw and squared up some pieces on my table saw. I am ready to make some test signage.

I am planning on selecting a sign outline and lasering the outline on the corian and then cutting with a band saw (or scroll saw if it can cut it) and then sanding and routing the edges. I would then laser the sign using a paper mask and then spray paint over the masking.

I am wondering if this is the preferred method or if there is a better way such as using a template of the sign outline and cutting the corian with a router?

Can you use a keyhole router bit on corian on the back to make a slot for hanging the sign?

Also wonder how deep to engrave the corian when filling with spray paint?
    Is corian suitable for oudoor signage?

Can you use something like rub n buff on corian? On a test piece I couldn't wipe the rub n buff off and had to sand it off?

I was at Johnson's Plastics last week in Minneapolis and purchased some of their Bond 634 Vinal cement. I am asuming this would work with corian?

Johnson's Plastics had some very nice looking signs made out of Romark reverse image material. You laser a mirror image on the back of the material and the front is a nice clear plastic matt finish. You can color fill different areas different colors and the signs looks very nice. Has anyone done the reverse imageing on regular acrylic? I tried but the matt look of the Romark seems to work much better? Don't know if there's a way to make acrylic more of a mat finish?

Sorry for all the questions but havn't worked much with plastics yet?
    thanks in advance for any advise? Lynn
    Last edited by Lynn Kull; 10-26-2004 at 2:40 PM.