Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severe VORTEX pulling on me

Severe VORTEX pulling on me

Well boys and girls, the vortex has got a traction beam on me and is sucking me in big time. The LOML has told me that I can now purchase a lathe to replace the Craftsman tube lathe I currently own.
    I need some advice on which of the 3 lathes I have boiled down to.
    The constraint I have is that I do not currently have 220V power into my garage and I believe the expense to run it will be a little out of hand. But, I have these three lathes I am looking at:
    1. Jet 1642 1 1/2 HP 110V
    2. Laguna 1847 2 HP 220V
    3. Jet 1642 2HP 220V
    I know that running the power will be very pricey because my power panel is on the other side of the house and the main power from the road is over 150 feet. What I do like on the Jet is the 5yr warranty where the Laguna is only 1yr. But the shipping on the Laguna is only 26 cents where the shipping for the Jet will be around $150.00.
    So, I am asking for some help so that I make the right decision and not be pulled into the Vortex flailing and helpless.
    My plan is to do mostly bowls and hollow forms with possibly son spindle work for some contractors who do custom homes in the area.
    Thanks,
    Bill Wilcox

Disclaimer - I have the Jet EVS-2

Based on what I have personally experienced, read, and have been told from others - one of the Jets would be the way to go.

If you do a little searching you sill see that the Laguna leaves a lot to be desired.

Whether or not you will want the 2HP Jet comes down to a couple of things. If you think you will ever be coring or doing any outboard turning (ever), then the 2 HP would be the better choice. Otherwise, I know many people that have the 1.5HP and are generally happy with it.

Bill,

Like you, I didn't have 220 in the shop, so I went with the Jet 1642 1 1/2 hp model. I have had no problems with the power of this machine, and would recommend it. All I know about the Laguna is what I have read here, but for my .02, I would go with the 5 year warranty, 4 years more warranty for $150 seems like a good bet to me.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

I think either of those Jets would serve you well. I haven't got personal experience with Laguna, but I've read some pretty unsavory commentary about their lathes.

You might be surprised regarding the 220v installation. It isn't difficult, and with some guidance it is something that you could certainly do yourself for not much expense. Distance to the panel isn't really a big deal in a residence unless there's no unfinished space to route the wire in.

Bill - I have the Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp lathe and highly recommend the Jet. Lots of folks have the 120 VAC version and I have yet to hear any of them complain about lack of power.

I ran the 220 VAC drop myself because I already had 220 VAC for my tablesaw. While it is not a hard thing to do - why go through the additional expense if you don't have to?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

i have the jet 1642 evs 1 1/2 hp and like it a lot

you need to have a dedicated line for the jet, no lights, no power drills, grinders, on the line, it will pop the breaker, after you reset it several times you would like to blame the manufacter but you have to have dedicated line and it works fine

I have 220V in my shop and I went with a 110V 1.5 HP Nova 1642. After having spent 3 days in a class on a PM 3250B, I would be hard pressed to say that the time back on my Nova has revealed a significantly noticeable difference.

While I have converted my TS, band saw and jointer from 110V to 220V, I feel no need to convert the Nova. BTW, the convention for reflecting HP ratings with WW machines is pretty loose. If the Jet lathes are like my Delta TS and bandsaws as well as my Jet jointer, the HP ratings change simply from rewiring the machines for 220V. Assuming that the motors on the Jets are the same and that the difference HP ratings come from the wiring arrangement, why not go with the 1.5 110V now and deal with the other 1/2 HP and 220V down the road, if ever?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    you need to have a dedicated line for the jet, no lights, no power drills, grinders, on the line, it will pop the breaker, after you reset it several times you would like to blame the manufacter but you have to have dedicated line and it works fine
    Bill,

Take a look at the DVR XP. If you don't mind building a stand, it really is a great (and under appreciated) lathe. It has a smaller foot print than the Jet, runs on 110V, and has 1 3/4 hp. I can use the lathe, 2 lights, and my vacuum pump all at the same time on a 20 amp circuit without any problems.

If you live near a Woodcraft and are patient, you can get a really good deal on one, and not have to pay any shipping.

Just a suggestion.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    i have the jet 1642 evs 1 1/2 hp and like it a lot

I'm not sure why, but I have mine on the same circuit as the rest of my garage, 4 lights in the garage, chest freezer, 4 lights in the turning room, dust collector and vacuum pump, and have never kicked the circuit breaker.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Add Robust to your list of considerations

Check out: wwww.turnrobust.com. They produce the very best turning products and they are made in the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you need customer service, you can call the owner, designer and manufacturer directly instead of having to call an importer/distributer.

Don Geiger

Don't know where you are at but from time to time there is free shipping on the Jets. Depending on who you want to deal with some of the internet sellers offer free shipping.

Either of those Jets should serve you well for a long time to come.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

With that Vortex...

pulling you in like it sounds, do it right the first time! I've heard nothing but good on the jets. Do a google for reviews on the lathes you're looking at, I think you'll find lots of info. Personally, I've got the DVR XP set up and love it, and caught the big sale price at WC, and there was no shipping.

Be patient, I'd imagine whatever you end up with, you can get the free shipping.

I have the Jet 1642 1.5 and have been very happy with it. I had the same problem of not being able to run 220v power from the main panel to where me shop is due to the construction of the house. You will need a dedicated circuit as referenced earlier. According to the phase inverter on the lathe it pulls 18 AMPs. I initially tried running mine on a 15 AMP circuit, because I didn't read that. I now have it on a dedicated 20 AMP plug.

Dave

Same Boat

Hi Bill,

We are on the same page and caught in the same Vortex. I received spouse budget approval to upgrade from my Jet Mini. I am getting tired of stalling it out with even a 5" bowl and I just cut down a very nice sugar maple that is 18" at the butt.

I am torn between the Jet 1642 EVS and the DVR-XP. Also with the Jet I am on the fence between 1.5 and 2hp. I do have 220 in the shop but with the price difference I could buy some other goodies.

You mentioned $150 shipping? Woodcraft has 10% off sale coming up on Feb 26th&27th, at least at my NH Woodcraft and Amazon is showing free shipping.

I don't do a lot of spindle work so the shorter bed on the DVR along with the ability to swing it out for inside bowl work is very tempting. On the other hand the quality of the Jet and the weight of the Jet are equally attractive.

A quandary of Trade-off's.

-Frank