Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Severe VORTEX pulling on me

Bill,

I just ordered a Jet 1642 1 1/2 hp from Amazon for $1652 with free shipping. Also, Tools-Plus has the lathe for $1649 plus $6.50 shipping (add it to your cart to see the discounted price).
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Smile

Another vote here for the DVR xp. I've had mine for 15+ months. Got it on the WC October sale with (almost) free shipping. I converted the lathe to run on 220v within a week. It adds another 1/2 hp, or so it's claimed in the literature. The DVR is the only TRUE electronic lathe on the market. There are no belts to change - just adjust the speed from 200 - 3500 rpm by pushing one button. I guess you can tell I'm sold on the machine. If I ever win the Lotto, I'll get an American Beauty or a VB36 ;-)

I build my shop from scratch 4 years ago and 220V was a prime consideration - just dug a ditch from the meter box on the house and ran the line underground in a pvc pipe to a breaker box in the garage/shop. Get an electrician to do it. It sure beats tripping 110v breakers when stuff gets turned on.

I am a member of the 1642 1.5hp club. Was able to take advantage of a free shipping deal when I bought it. No regrets on power to turn with and no problems with the standard 110v circuit it runs on. All I can say is I do not see may of these advertised for sale in the used market.

WOW!!!!!! Thanks to all who responded. I did read all the posts on the Jet and on the Laguna and I have to say I am impressed with the Jet.
    My budget was around 2k. I really do like the option of a 2 HP motor but with the way the home is built and designed, 220V going to the garage was a huge issue here. I talked with 2 electricians and was told the running of 220V to the garage was going to be difficult and the expense would really push my 2k budget. I even thought of getting a Phase converter to be able to run the 2HP but even that was a bit high for me. The other reason for the Jet was the 5yr warranty. You can't beat that either.
    So I decided to get the Jet 1.5HP. I saw that the price was right from Amazon and was able to get a few other goodies too.
    Once again SMC does it again with great input.
    Thanks,
    Bill W