Thread: What Size Screws for Drawer Slide Mounting?

What Size Screws for Drawer Slide Mounting?

Hello All,

I've been working on a kitchen cabinet project for some time now, but I'm nearing the home strech. This weekend I'll be doing final finishing and assembly...attach face frames, install drawers, etc.

The GlideRite #70 Series Side Mount Ball Bearing Drawer Slides (SMC recommendation) I purchased did not come with mounting screws. So, what size screws do I use?

My thought is 1/2" #6 panheads. Right?

If it matters, my carcasses are 3/4" maple ply and I will be building out the insides where the slides go to be flush with inside edge of the face frames.

Thanks for the help!

your issue will be screw head clearance. must clear the middle glide as it goes back and forth. i have found that the thickness of the pan head depends on the manufactuer. having said that, try an 8, attaching a glide to a piece of scrap...8s have more beef and hold better. if the head clears, you're good. also, go to at least 3/4"

You can get screws made for draw slides. Either Woodcraft or Rockler carry these

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Durgin View Post
    You can get screws made for draw slides. Either Woodcraft or Rockler carry these
    Yep, I get mine from McFeely's, #6, 1/2" and 5/8" available, (also 5 mm versions). They have an undercut head to allow the head to sit flush with the glide.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0604...ut-Head-Screws

Blog Entries
    I use the undercut shown by Brice for that type of glide. For full extension glides like your 70 series, I use these:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0604...ad-Zinc-Screws
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ditto on McFeely's. I also get drawer slide screws from woodworker.com.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I use a #8 x 1/2 when it is inconvenient to predrill a 5mm hole and use a euro screw. Euro screws are my first choice, as they are made to mesh perfectly with the drawer glides and have exceptional holding power. But I have not had a problem with the #8 x 1/2 pan head interfering with the glide. Euro makes a jig that will make glide installation very easy for you, but it is a little spendy.

Thanks guys!

As I'll be ready to do this tomorrow or Sunday, and don't want to wait for shipping, I think I'll just run over to Woodcraft and take a look at their selection. It appears that they carry everything each of you discribed. I might pay a couple bucks more, but at least I'll be able to get it done this weekend.

As a guy who has always used drywall screws for just about everything, I'm continually amazed at the variety of fasteners available these days. Makes you wonder how they survived 100 years ago!

Again, thanks!

I used zinc coated 1/2" #6 wood screws made by "Crown Bolt" from Home Depot. A box of screws (maybe a little less than 100 screws) was less than $3.

The difference is I installed over extension KV slides that had hardly any clearance at all for the screw heads. The screws were literally flush or slightly recessed in the countersink metal holes after being installed.

In MDF and soft woods I don't pre-drill.

I would drive to the B&M stores with a glide with you, then see what fits best.

5/8 #6 does the trick for me
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

8 x 3/4 modified truss heads

I bought the ones form Rockler (through Amazon). I'd order extras...