Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight

Harbor Freight

Wondering what experience anyone has had with tools, in particular power tools, from Harbor Freight. Some of their prices seem to good to be true, and Im wondering about the quality of their products...

thanks Gary Simmons

I have had mixed experiences with their equipm. Anything that I have purchased that was made by Chicago Electric (their main store brand) has been horrible and I have returned within a week. That includes miter saw, biscuit jointer, bench top grinder, and a router. The small midi lathe they have is exactly the same as the off-brand one that Rockler sells. My neighbor has it and it seem pretty solid. I have bought a number of air tools from them over the year and have been happy with them.

My HF tools are limited - an angle grinder, a brad nailer, and a handful of assorted odds and ends - all of which I consider disposable. The only tool of any substantial cost from HF was my first lathe - the 34706, which I consider to be an excellent buy for the money. The other lathes have gotten poor reviews.

The quality is pretty hit-n-miss. I've had some stuff that has lasted me for close to 20 years and some other stuff like a spoke shave I picked up a couple months ago that pretty much hit the trash right after I got it. I live too far away to be worth my time to take it back. If I need a dependable thats going to be used a lot, I usually look somewhere else first, but if you need something that isn't going to be used a ton, its sometimes worth the gamble. If you live close to a store then returns shouldn't be an issue.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Since this is the turning forum, I will address the lathes and turning tools first.

I agree on the comment about the lathes. The #34706 is widely considered an HF "Gem". I own one, and while it could use some ballast, it is no worse, and in some ways a better lathe (better reliability) than the now discontinued Grizzly clone of the Jet JWL1236. (The Grizzly has a LOT of reported motor problems).

I must add in though, that isn't the only good lathe HF sells. The 65345 5 speed benchtop (mini) lathe like was mentioned above is virtually identical to the Excelsior lathe that Rockler sells. I know a few guys turning nice pens and the like on those...

The 8 piece High Speed Steel tool set is considered to be another bargain. However for a few bucks more, you can get the Benjamin's best set from PSI, not that it is any better, just that the selection of turning tools is a little better for a beginner...

The chucks are considered to be absolute garbage. Avoid them...

Okay onto the other stuff I have from them that I am happy with.

32208 14" band saw. Taiwan Made. More or less the same as the low end Delta 14" with lousy assembly instructions.
    97869 2HP Dust collector. Both my DC and Band saw are hot rodded, but then again I would have hot rodded any band saw less than a Grizzly GO555, and I would have hot rodded a Delta 50-760 DC too...
    40400 air compressor. (Current model #95386, mine was marked with both #s on the box, go figure...)
    #98917 28 deg framing nailer.
    #66872 Finish Nailer.
    Too many item #s to list, but an assortment of the bar clamps.

I have borrowed, and been actually relatively impressed with the #98194 12" Sliding Compound Miter saw. Yeah it had an aftermarket blade (Freud Diablo) bit it cut VERY accurate miters, and was putting up with the abuse of being a loaner tool...

Do some Googling for "HF Gems", several folks have made gems lists of HF tools that provide excellent value and service...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I agree with the hit and miss for quality. I do have there DC 2 hp which has proven to be a good buy. 4 yrs now and the only problem has been the on/off switch. I bought a couple of angle grinders on sale for $19.95. One bite the dust in 6 months but the other has 3 yrs of power sanding of turned pieces and it is still going.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'm in the hit or miss club as well.

Hits are their 3/8" right angle drill for power sanding turnings. Works well and I have been trying to kill my 1st one for a couple of years and it won't die. Morse taper "Jacobs" type drill chuck-nice for the price. I also like their diamond grinding and sharpening accessories-you can beat them up and not care. I've had good luck with their air tools so far-brad and pin nailers. Turning tools (HSS) are decent for learning to grind and sharpen. HF is also OK for air hoses and fittings. I also have one of the auto-darkening welding masks that works well.

I don't have any of their larger power tools so can't really address them. If you are looking for durability and precision, you might be disappointed. Anything with a cutting edge is mostly worthless. I would also avoid any electronic tools.

Overall, if you want disposable or occaisional use tools at a cheap price, HF is fine. General purpose or disposable things like tarps, brushes, wrenches, prybars that you expect to abuse and/or destroy are more affordable at HF. Or just to try a certain tool maybe.

Using their coupons is a big help too. I have been seeing the 20% off coupons in several magazines lately.

Just remember-you get what you pay for.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

My experience suggests that you go somewhere else unless you want to use it one and toss it.

I have a pair of cordless drills that are just over a decade old. I think one is about dead, the other is fine. Still on original batteries.

5 speed bench top drill press: good. Although I doubt it's good for high accuracy.

10" Compound sliding saw: #96697. Works well. Again, not sure about accuracy. Accurate enough to make outdoor furniture.

6" digital caliper: Excellent

Nitrile gloves, diamond burrs, earplugs, that sort of stuff, great.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I go for the hit or miss best described as someone told me: "HF sells two things, tools and TSOs (tool shaped objects) the problem is figuring out which is which."
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

great info

thanks everyone for your input... as the saying goes, I guess you get what you pay for....
    I will go with the hit or miss and the experiences you provided...thanks again.

I have two HF cord reversible drills that I have buffers on-- and they do the job. I also consider them throw-away at $10 each. The HSS lathe tools are a OK for the new turner.
    Jerry

I have more HF stuff in my shop than I would like to fess up to owning. In my experience anything that is air powered has been just fine. I have their big red tool box that is fantastic. Anything with a power cord attached to it is hit or miss. However, at the HF I go to, they are great about doing returns and I have never had any trouble taking something back, which keeps me going back.

I have a 4" handheld grinder from HF and the copy of the Fein - both have served me well - especially for the price. My friend has many small power tools from HF that he uses in and around the house - he builds a lot of outdoor items where fine craftsmanship is not required. He normally works outside on a big table and if it rains he just throws a cover on the tools and goes inside - Something you would not want to do with better tools.

I have been finding that many of the items that HF sells are the same items others are selling at higher prices. Its a great place to get small items and consumables.

No big problems for me

I have 2 of there air compressors and both have taken a ton of use and have never barked once. I have a 28 degree framing nailer that does everything I ask it to. I have 2 of their welders a 220V wire feed and I just picked up their 200amp TIG/Stick welder (The larger one with digital readout) I use them everyday and they perform just as they should, for the $249 I spent on the TIG welder (On sale + 20% coupon) it welds as good as $2000 dollar big name welders. I think my best tool that I bought was the portable band saw for about $45, same thing sale and 20% off. I cuts like a champ and has plenty of power to do most anything. And just about all the small things I buy from magnets to prybars to the nitrile gloves they are hard to beat. You just have to go in with an open mind knowing that it may not last as long as you would like, but most of the time it lasts longer. A brand new Mercedes can break down in a week just like a Hyundai, or should I say Toyota!!!!

Have fun and they are good for testing out tools that you think you want and then upgrade from there.

Jef
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown