Thread: Vector program ??

Vector program ??

Is there a program out there that is free or cheap..or any..
    That you all recommend and use...

So i can take photograph of say a motorcycle. Put it in and it turn it in to a perfect b/w vectorived photo so i can engrave it in to acrylic....
    I have been re-drawing and outlining everyone...and it takes alot of time to clean up a bike,car,face, etc...

Remember im new at this.... So be nice...!!!
    No sarcasm...just help please...

All programs that will vectorize will require your time and effort to "clean up" to your expectations. There are, however, many small companies that will do the vectorizing for you and are actually quite reasonable, most less than $25!
    HTH

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN REDFORD View Post
    Is there a program out there that is free or cheap..or any..
    That you all recommend and use...

So i can take photograph of say a motorcycle. Put it in and it turn it in to a perfect b/w vectorived photo so i can engrave it in to acrylic....
    I have been re-drawing and outlining everyone...and it takes alot of time to clean up a bike,car,face, etc...

Remember im new at this.... So be nice...!!!
    No sarcasm...just help please...
    Hi... try vectormagic.com

There are a handful of Open Source software out there use "Open Source" in your search.

GIMP is a popular one similar to Photoshop, there are others.

Does it have to be vector? There are ways to process through Photoshop
    using the "Gold Method" (search forum for that) then import it to Corel.
    Photoshop Elements comes free with many scanners and printers you can probably get a copy from a friend who has a couple sitting around.

Corel has Photopaint as part of the suite so it may work on that.

I suggest you search the forum for engraving photos as there is a large amount of info on
    theat topic.

Hope this helps.

One more note perfect is a "Slippery Beast" with engraving!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Blog Entries
    If you want to trace an image as a vector, take a look at InkScape... free and continually being updated.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

San Jose, Ca soon to be Mariposa, CA "Gateway to Yosemite"
    Blog Entries
    If you have Corel Draw X3 or X4, you might be interested in a program that works in Corel called “BlackLine”
    Go to http://steveyatesgraphics.com/ and he also sells through ebay.
    I’d suggest that you watch the video both on his web site where he does a mustang and also at ebay where he processes a motorcycle.

Cost is $19 to $30.00

Ron in San Jose
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-13-2010 at 5:45 AM. Reason: removed ebay link
    [/SIGPIC] Epilog Mini 24 - 45 watt, 3 Melco Amaya's with DesignShop, Roland PC-600 Printer/Plotter, Roland Camm-1 and 1050 plotter and a 6 color 4 station screen printing press. CorelDraw X3,X4 and X5 plus PhotoGrav 3.0

San Jose, Ca soon to be Mariposa, CA "Gateway to Yosemite"
    Blog Entries
    I just checked the website
    http://steveyatesgraphics.com/?page=bl_buy

And you can download a 14 day trail for free for either Photoshop or Corel X3 or X4.

Ron Thompson
    [/SIGPIC] Epilog Mini 24 - 45 watt, 3 Melco Amaya's with DesignShop, Roland PC-600 Printer/Plotter, Roland Camm-1 and 1050 plotter and a 6 color 4 station screen printing press. CorelDraw X3,X4 and X5 plus PhotoGrav 3.0

The easiest way to do what you want is with inkscape, its free and works on mac and pc.

You import your bitmap/jpeg into inkscape - trace it (with various options) - and you have a vector which can be saved in various formats.

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN REDFORD View Post
    Is there a program out there . . .That you all recommend and use... So i can take photograph of say a motorcycle. Put it in and it turn it in to a perfect b/w vectorived photo so i can engrave it in to acrylic....
    It is not clear why you want to turn a bitmap into a vector and turn it back into a bitmap to raster engrave it. You may have a reason - are you trying to convert the photo to line art? Did you need to be able to scale it up and down? If it is to remain a photo, most people would not go thorough the step of vectorizing it and then converting it back to raster to engrave.

But if it is really line art that you desire, then you need a raster to vector conversion program. You can do it manually but as you know it will take a lot of time unless you have some special talent for manipulating curves and nodes. Some people swear by the hand-trace method but I would tend to use a program like Vector Magic and then fine-tune by hand.

The appearance of line art will be significantly different than a photo. Line art is more what you would see for a logo; it won't look like a photograph after the conversion. I'm not convinced that you really want/need to convert to vector.

That blackline looks pretty good. Might give that one a try! Thanks Ron

Also found this which shows it being used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZW8aVKNQFU
    Last edited by Frank Corker; 02-13-2010 at 5:54 PM.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    That blackline looks pretty good. Might give that one a try! Thanks Ron

Also found this which shows it being used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZW8aVKNQFU
    Thanks for finding that youtube vid Frank.. The one on the website was not loading for some reason.. And I have to agree with you.. That looks like a very useful addition. Thanks Ron for posting that..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it