Thread: Replace colors in Image

Replace colors in Image

I have an image that I need to put on a laptop (attached JPG & CDR). It has been converted to grayscale, I have two concerns;

1. How will the different shades effect the engraving? I am pretty sure it will react more like a photo.

2. Do I use 1-Touch, #D etc settings?

3. Assuming I am correct on #1, how do I replace the background shading in the map? (Fields, etc. not the parks.)

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    VLS 4.60 50 watt w/rotary, Corel X3/X4, Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 7, Windows XP SP3 upgraded from Windows Vista.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE !!"

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    Seems to me you need to use PhotoGrav and do a lot of sample testing.
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

Blog Entries
    Dave,

Since you won't get different shades on an etched laptop based upon varying power levels, you need to go with a 1-bit solution (i.e., NOT the 3D settings).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bull View Post
    Seems to me you need to use PhotoGrav and do a lot of sample testing.
    I probably muddied the questions by asking too many at once. Yes, I will probably run a 1-touch test, however would prefer to get just get the "background" to white.
    VLS 4.60 50 watt w/rotary, Corel X3/X4, Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 7, Windows XP SP3 upgraded from Windows Vista.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Dave,

Since you won't get different shades on an etched laptop based upon varying power levels, you need to go with a 1-bit solution (i.e., NOT the 3D settings).
    Not trying to be dense so bear with me. When I try to convert is to 1-bit in PhotoPaint, the pic is all but unusable. How would you suggest doing it?

Also, I originally figured, simplistically, that this image was essentially nothing more than a standard line drawing. This is why I figured if I could get the background to white, it would work.

As I write this, I realize it is easily done in Paint Shop Pro, while I would like to figure out how to do it in CorelDraw or Paint, maybe for me it will be a step or two more.

Blog Entries
    Oh, so you want to turn the entire thing to a line drawing, no shading at all? That's simple enough... look for an option that allows you to collapse the number of colors used. The tools that use sliders to set the black/white clipping points would be the best here. Slide the white slider down until the shaded portions change to all white.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Dave;
    Open the image in Photopaint or Photoshop and adjust the contrast and brightness-the better the resolution the better the results. The image posted is not very good or clear.
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts