Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just Ordered a Lathe

Congratulations on the new lathe Rich! May it serve you well.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Rich - Hope your daughter does well in the finals!

Looking forward to seeing the photos! Make sure you get some help when it comes time to set the lathe up. You can do it by yourself - a lot of us have - but it sure makes it easier with a little assistance!

Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I picked up the lathe at the paper mill last night after I got back from Marquette and diving finals.

Manistique High School took first in boys diving with our foreign exchange student, Simon Dalmon. He is a gymnist, but had never dove before coming to Manistique. He is quite good at the gymnastics part of the dive, so he became good quite quickly. On the girls side, Manistique took second and third, Daniel Reid took second, while my daughter, Emily took third. Of the top 4 girl divers, my daughter is the only one who is not graduating.

Anyway, on to the lathe. Attached are pictures of it this afternoon sitting on the trailer. I have to make room in the shop. I am completing a top for a hutch - the top of the bottom cabinet which also serves as the bottom for the top cabinet. I hope to deliver it just before dinner this evening, then clean up for the lathe.

Sorry about the white stuff in the back ground. My grandpa called it Lake Superior smog.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 02-20-2010 at 1:53 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Rich - Hope your daughter does well in the finals!

Looking forward to seeing the photos! Make sure you get some help when it comes time to set the lathe up. You can do it by yourself - a lot of us have - but it sure makes it easier with a little assistance!

Have fun!
    I have my dad, brother and daughters boyfriend available tonight, so it should happen tonight.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 02-20-2010 at 1:55 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

New Lathe Assembled

Finally, I delivered the other project that I just completed. We went with my daughter and her boyfriend to look at some property. At 3:15. my time was mine, so I cleaned out the spot for the lathe and started assembling.

I decided to put the feet on before putting the legs on the bed.

The Super Sawhorses really worked well for assistance in assembly.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 02-21-2010 at 5:05 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

New Lathe Assembled Part 2

Continuing with assembly, the third picture shows the guard. I wonder how long it will take before I loose the guard. I havent seen too many pictures of lathes with this guard. Assembly time was about 1 hour, taking my time.

It runs smooth and quiet. It seems strange because all of the other tools scream. Of course, when I have the dust collector running, this will be different.

I was a llittle bit concerned about the placement because I thought the table saw sliding table would be more in the way, but I dont see that as an issue.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 02-21-2010 at 5:04 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

Looks great Rich - Congrats

Hope you get to take it for a test run real soon!

Just a reminder - the faceplate has a couple of set-screws that need attention before you can remove it - DAMHIKT!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Looks great Rich - Congrats

Hope you get to take it for a test run real soon!

Just a reminder - the faceplate has a couple of set-screws that need attention before you can remove it - DAMHIKT!
    Steve,

Thanks for the heads up. A lot of people must run into this problem because there is a sticker on the face plate that points that out. I decided to leave the sticker on for now. It will wear off, but by then I should know (doesnt mean I will remember).
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

9. Won't be long and that workbench with a sliding table will be slid up against the wall and the new lathe will be sitting out there in the open.