Thread: Plum Vase & What Sound to Listen For?

Plum Vase & What Sound to Listen For?

Since the plum seems to be a popular wood, I thought I would post another one I finished a couple of days ago. Also have some more questions!

Will ask the least important first. Which of these 3 pictures has the most appeal? I'm thinking along the lines of angle, cropping, portrait vs landscape.
    2-12-10 Plum Vase 009.jpg2-12-10 Plum Vase 010.jpg2-12-10 Plum Vase 007.jpg

Now for the important one! In this next picture you can see tiny cracks where the wall got too thin.
    2-12-10 Plum Vase 024.jpg
    If you go back and look at the first pictures you can see where the right side flattens out a bit near the bottom. It wasn't like that when I first started the inside. Honest! I think it got too thin in that spot and with the cyclone pulling a lot of air across it, it dried faster than the thicker areas resulting in the cracks and shrinkage. My wood is free but it still made me feel more than a little sick! Put a plastic bag over it and quit for the night.
    Steve had mentioned in an earlier post if I had heard the sound changing when I turned one too thin. I have heard a chattering sound at times but on the three that I have gotten too thin I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary when I was turning that spot. I was using a light but didn't see anything at the time, though come to think of it, should I have turned all my other lights off when checking?

The last picture just shows some of the interesting grain. The knot and pith started too split while turning but the CA kept it somewhat under control.

2-12-10 Plum Vase 013.jpg

5Tx 4 1/4 x 3/16 and under. BLO then 3 coats of shellac. I don't know what else I may use if anything. Suggestions?

Your ideas are appreciated!

Baxter, I like the angle in the second photo best, but I would crop the sides a lot and a bit on the top. I guess I don't consider landscape vs portrait when I crop, I just try to maximize the object.

But this is coming from a guy who has only recently been able to create mildly acceptable photos.

And that's a nice chunk of plum and a nice form.

Baxter, I think I like the lighting in the first pic - or at least it seems it is lit a little differently!?! Like Gary, I crop nearly all my pics, and resize them after cropping to about 10 x 7.5 at 72 ppi. I save them at 8 on a scale of 10 in file size using Photoshop elements. That usually puts me within the max size for uploading.

I think you are right on the cracks and drying out. That would also account for the flatness with the shrinkage and warp that would occur.

I think you are doing a great job on the hollowing though, and getting out under that rim in that form looks tricky. And, the plum! Just can't say enough about the color and character - it is beautiful every time you post it!!

I agree that the photo angle is best on the second picture.

Listening for sound to judge thickness is not easy to do, it requires very good tool control to get to the point where vibration of the wood is audible over the other sounds. The only times I have been able to use sound this way is when making really thin wall items, even then have to verify with calipers often. I find that that light transmission is a better way to judge thickness on thin work, try one of the LED flash lights. If you are trying for much over 1/8", most woods won't let much light through.

i like the 2nd one, plum is some pretty wood

That is some pretty wood and agree on the second pic's.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Baxter - I find the first photo has the best profile but the cropping draws your attention to the empty space above the HF. The second photo is cropped more to my liking but the camera angle has been raised slightly and that does distort the profile - although very minor in this case. The third photo - with camera angle even higher - demonstrates how the profile changes with perspective.

So, given a choice - I would have the first HF in the setting of the second photo...... if that makes any sense.

As far as sound - when turning really thin you will eventually be able to hear the pitch rise as the piece gets thinner. It is very subtle and not something I would rely on to gauge thickness. Calipers, laser or a strong light work better and from my experience - the sound really changes as soon as the cutter comes through the side of the HF. That's a sound you want to avoid!

Nice work on this hollow form! Very pretty wood! Cracks can appear at any time when turning. Don't forget - as the wood gets thinner - a lot of times natural stresses are being released and will distort the wood no matter what you do.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice turning of a beautiful piece of wood. I like the second photo the best.

I like the first shot for perspective but it needs to be cropped square. Try placing a sheet of cardboard near the light source to cast a shadow over the top third of the shot to add a little drama.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Chester View Post
    I guess I don't consider landscape vs portrait when I crop, I just try to maximize the object.
    Thanks Gary. I shouldn't either. Thats just the way I have done other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Baxter, I think I like the lighting in the first pic - or at least it seems it is lit a little differently!?! !!

And, the plum! Just can't say enough about the color and character - it is beautiful every time you post it.
    Thanks John. The lighting for all of these was the same. No lights on in the shop at all, then stuck in a box so there would be no glare from windows. The aperture stayed the same but the time exposure varied from about 1 to 1.3 seconds.
    Not that I have worked with much, but I would have to rate the plum at the top when it comes to color and character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    I find that that light transmission is a better way to judge thickness on thin work, try one of the LED flash lights. If you are trying for much over 1/8", most woods won't let much light through.
    Thanks Dan, will try that. I wasn't trying to make this one exceptionally thin!! Maybe I just get tired of checking so frequently and having plenty left at the top. By the time I get to the bottom when there is less to work with, I am still thinking I'm at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    i like the 2nd one, plum is some pretty wood
    Thanks Charlie. The plum is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    That is some pretty wood and agree on the second pic's.
    Thanks Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Baxter - I find the first photo has the best profile but the cropping draws your attention to the empty space above the HF. The second photo is cropped more to my liking but the camera angle has been raised slightly and that does distort the profile - although very minor in this case. The third photo - with camera angle even higher - demonstrates how the profile changes with perspective.

So, given a choice - I would have the first HF in the setting of the second photo...... if that makes any sense.
    Thanks Steve. I understand . As soon as I read this I went back and did that to the first picture. I have been mentally stuck on keeping everything in a 4x6 dimension. Maybe from just keeping them so it would be easy to print if I ever wanted too. When I switched it to portrait I never thought of cropping it again. It looks far better now. Sometimes I just need to be slapped in the head! So thanks!
    As far as sound - when turning really thin you will eventually be able to hear the pitch rise as the piece gets thinner. It is very subtle and not something I would rely on to gauge thickness. Calipers, laser or a strong light work better and from my experience - the sound really changes as soon as the cutter comes through the side of the HF. That's a sound you want to avoid!
    At least I avoided that sound!

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Nice turning of a beautiful piece of wood. I like the second photo the best.
    Thanks David
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sherman View Post
    I like the first shot for perspective but it needs to be cropped square. Try placing a sheet of cardboard near the light source to cast a shadow over the top third of the shot to add a little drama.

Bill
    Thanks Bill. I agree with the square bit. By trying to block out all light that might create glare, I did make the picture look flat.

Again, thanks for all your suggestions. They make me think about a lot of things to improve or try. I appreciate them all!