Thread: plywood edge plywood outside sign.

plywood edge plywood outside sign.

I have customer that does the whole eco product tradeshow display thing.
    so he wants his signs back to be plywood that is made up of exposed edge. so think of 3/4" wide 8' long 3/4" plywood strips glued face to face.
    the back is 96" wide 18" tall I will recommend outdoor plywood or marine ply. I was thinking of fully sealing and coating the faces and ends with epoxy to fully seal them and then a clearcoat to protect it from uv. of course all voids would need filled. I was thinking of some appleply with a outdoor glue since it really does not have any voids.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I'd use MDO, which is the normal outdoor wood sign substrate. The edges look just like plywood, the only difference is the face being paper impregnated with resin for smoothness and durability.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I was thinking that but it can have a fair amount of voids in the edges that need filled with epoxy. I cut a fair mount of it and it is seldom void free.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    I was thinking that but it can have a fair amount of voids in the edges that need filled with epoxy. I cut a fair mount of it and it is seldom void free.
    I agree that it's seldom void free, but in my experience most still have the voids after cutting, and only the factory edges have the epoxy filler, so you can use a matching wood-dough.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

It's been a while since i have used mdo, we use to simply fill the edge with bondo then prime and paint them.
    Saber 408, Mutoh rockhopper, epilog 36ext, M&R and Sias screenpresss, gerber edge, gerber enVision, gerber hs15