Thread: can I run extension cords behind drywall?

can I run extension cords behind drywall?

OK that was just to get your attention. Of course I can't, they aren't code rated to be behind drywall etc.

But: I would really love a solution where I could run something that is like an extension cord behind drywall. Specifically, I am trying to find a closet to hide my DC in, but would like it to be connected to one of those auto on switch boxes that you get for the table saw (turn saw on, DC turns on). There are some dudes who are selling something called powerbridge, which basically sounds like a behind drywall extension cord, but I am skeptical. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe I just need a remote control or something? I just love it when I turn on saw and DC powers up automatically. But I don't want to run power cords across the doorway or (of course) behind the drywall.

Thanks all

Tim

run some PVC behind the sheetrock, then you can put whatever you want in the PVC.....slide an extention cord through or anything else ytou want
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

3. Quote Originally Posted by Tim Cleary View Post
    OK that was just to get your attention. Of course I can't, they aren't code rated to be behind drywall etc.

But: I would really love a solution where I could run something that is like an extension cord behind drywall. Specifically, I am trying to find a closet to hide my DC in, but would like it to be connected to one of those auto on switch boxes that you get for the table saw (turn saw on, DC turns on). There are some dudes who are selling something called powerbridge, which basically sounds like a behind drywall extension cord, but I am skeptical. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe I just need a remote control or something? I just love it when I turn on saw and DC powers up automatically. But I don't want to run power cords across the doorway or (of course) behind the drywall.

Thanks all

Tim
    Tim,

I beleive it can be done but may be way more work then it's worth. I think you will need to do a motor start that is controled with low voltage for the DC. You could then pull something like bell wire behind the drywall and hook into some some type of relay on your table saw. I have seen them made. I'm no electrician but I've seen them made in a woodworking magazine

Bob

Are we talking about multiple items turning the DC on? of just the table saw? It will be more difficult if multiple items. There are schematics out there that show how to do it. There are also commercial units to do this. At least there is one that will turn the DC on when you open a blast gate. I'm pretty sure you can make one that will turn the DC on when you turn a tool on. You could probably get really fancy and have the proper blast gates open and the DC turn on when you fire up a specific tool. There are the single units for 30 bucks or so that will turn shop vac on when you turn a miter saw on. Both units have to plug into it. Same principle except using multiple tools to turn on the DC gets complicated. It is going to be much more involved than getting the power cord through the wall safely, but it can be done. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I'm not an electrician, didn't play one on TV and haven't stayed

at a Holiday Inn Express lately. Having stated my qualifications I'd look at a low voltage solution with one of these relays from McMaster-Carr. I have one switch centrally located to turn my D.C. on. I know it's possible to have multiple start/stop stations but don't know how to wire them. I'm certain there are schematics around. I'm not a fan of "too cute" solutions, I like reliable.

Have you considered the remote starters? They work on FM (I think), so no problem through the drywall. Mine is called "the long ranger" or some such thing and I accidentally took the remote over to my neighbor's house once and turned the DC on from over there.

Otherwise, some grey conduit would probably be fairly easy.

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    run some PVC behind the sheetrock, then you can put whatever you want in the PVC.....slide an extention cord through or anything else ytou want
    I don't think you can run an extension cord through rigid PVC. It is my understanding that you can't run Romex through it, therefore an extension cord would definitely not be code.

I think a low voltage solution is the best bet.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Best solution I have seen (which I plan to do when I redo my shop) is a current sensing loop with a relay to turn on anytime one of my machines connected to the DC are turned on, you can also wire a override switch. It is detailed in the Fine Woodworking book "Small Woodworking Shops". Not a difficult retrofit if you are comfortable with electricity and the cost is about the same as some of the remotes on the market.

MC cable

You can confirm with your local AHJ, but last I checked was OK to "fish" MC (Metal Clad - the spiral metal covered stuff) into an existing wall cavity for retro fit stuff.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Good luck
    Sean