Thread: Porter Cable 7519 needs repair

Porter Cable 7519 needs repair

I just received a pair of Porter Cable 7519's. They were used by a guy in his, I don't know, CNC machine maybe? Regardless, he ground the pins off that locate the motor in the base unit so that he could fit them into his machines cradle. There are 4 pins per router, nice clean grind job, he didn't butcher the motor housings, but I would like to replace what appear to be pressed in pins. Any ideas on how to wisely go about this?

Thanks
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose

Jack

Can you knock out whats left in the case with a drift punch and re-press new pins in? McMaster or someone like that would probably have the pin material.

Steve

You will need to remove the motor from the barrel to do this. If not, the end of the pins will be pushed into the field. It isn't a hard job, but it is a complete dis assembly. The pins are cheap though. .91 each from DeWalt. I've done this before...not hard, just tedious.remember to make a reference mark on the field and barrel and completely smooth the inside surface of the barrel after setting the new pins or you could have problems with re-assembly.
    Good Luck
    Mick.

Ok, I didn't know that the pins could be driven through. I thought they were set into drilled recesses, but not into thru holes. Disasembly does not look difficult, hope I am right about that. It looks like removing 7 screws will allow the motor housing to slide right off.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose

Jack

Sounds like they were used for a CNC to me. I notched my mount so I wouldn't have to grind the pins off.

The motors probably have a lot of hours on them as a result. You might want to check the brushes and bearings while you have them apart.

John

Jack, please reference this newer thread for disassembly of your 7519. There is a little more to it than just 7 screws.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132913
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!