Thread: Bending Square Tubing Large Radius?

Bending Square Tubing Large Radius?

Hey Creekers,

I am going to build a greenhouse, using 1" square tubing. I was thinking of using a plywood form to bend the tubing around. I was also looking online for a relatively inexpensive bender, but have not really been able to find much of anything that bends the large radius. Give me your thoughts.

I have attached a rough sketch up image to give you an idea of the radius.

Thanks,
    Trent

Your best bet is going to be a Hossfeld bender or equivalent and it's gonna run you about $500 or so used. Check around for a shop that might bend it for you and you'll probably be way ahead for $$ spent.

If you could go down to 3/4" tubing then you can get a nice bender from Irvan-Smith. http://www.irvansmith.com/scart/tubi...ual-p-659.html I've got one and it works nicely. Its not going to give a perfectly smooth bend--it does the bend where the inside is deformed inward.

Why square tubing? is it something you have?
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I don't guess it has to be out of square tubing. I am kind modeling mine after the neighbors. I could certainly use 3/4.

I guess I was thinking the square tubing would be easier to attach the siding panels. Keep the thoughts coming.

Thanks,
    Trent

That one I posted will bend either square or round.

It isn't. There are all sorts of fittings that you can buy to attach purlins and bottom skirts.

A couple examples include...

C fittings work well around the bottom skirt, btw: use a 2x, not a 1x.

also for the purlins you can just drill straight through the arches and into purlins. From there run a bolt through the two.

I have built, tore down, built and re-built several greenhouses. I'd be happy to answer any questions.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

You don't want to bend it. You want to roll it. There are several sites for DIY builds. Your best bet would be to find a local pipe bending shop they would have a roller to do this. This is similar to what you want.

http://vansantent.com/tube_bending_m...ll_bender.html
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-15-2010 at 7:20 AM. Reason: Removed link to ebay