Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #12 Claro Walnut and Curly Maple - a blend of classic and contemporary

Outstanding piece John. Love your color combo and that knob sure adds a flair to the piece...Bill...

Your leap into the contemporary style appears to have had a rather nice landing!

Is lucky 13 already on the lathe? I'm still waiting for you to combine your precision flatwork with the lathe and segment something!

Your comments and input are appreciated. It is really good to have encouragement along the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    After seeing your previous piece I picked up a quart of the Deft satin lacquer yesterday along with another quart of antique oil. I think I will try that on my last plum vase that just has the shellac.
    Baxter, I think you will like the lacquer. On this piece, I thinned the lacquer about 35-40%, though the thinner evaporates quickly. I tried wiping it on, but switched to the brush as I wasn't pleased with how it was applying. Drys very quickly, and allows one to apply several coats in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hazelden View Post
    I assume that is an insert for your signature? Maple perhaps? Mark
    Mark, the medallion is maple, and it is 1.5" wide, and laser engraved. It holds a penny, but I haven't yet found any 2010 pennies - not sure they are out?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    The knob/finial technique you've used has always given me trouble. The only time I try to turn the lid and knob as one piece is if it is one piece. Whenever there's a glue line something in the Murphy's Law of turning seems to always make it difficult to keep the line crisp. For that reason I always drill a hole and insert the knob if I'm using a different wood.

One other thing, Ill be interested to see if the nice fit between the lid and bowl holds out. With two pieces of face grain wood, one or both almost always moves with time creating a bind and gap fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toney Robertson View Post
    I will also be interested to see if the lid continues to fit that well as time goes by.
    Curt, I had already concluded that I will not attempt this type of knob application again. I should have appled a separate piece and I would have been able to achieve a better appearance.

On the lid fit, it is a close fit at the moment, and it is winter. It will be interesting if it does OK during the summer and higher humidity. I think it best to set the lid in with the grain direction aligned with that of the bowl.

Warpage could be a factor as well. Time will tell.

Right now, vacuum is the biggest problem. If I try to lift the lid quickly, it will lift the bowl up with it! Maybe the secret is a knob/finial with a vent hole!

If the lid begins to stick, I might be able to relieve the lid recess in the bowl if I can get it chucked up somehow.

Thanks, again everyone!

Robert, it will be awhile before I attempt the segmenting! And, I think I am going to work on some Christmas presents next - stoppers and pot pourri bowls. But, the vortex is strong, and one never knows what urge may arise next.

Beautiful job John!
    This one I really like. For me everything just fits together.
    And it doesn't get any better working with walnut and maple....
    Another winner from the "Keeton Kitchen"

Thanks John, I will give that combination a try. Was not very satisfied with some spray gloss lacquer I had tried although it may have just been my technique.

Now John...

You know this would have "turned" out much better if you would have let us help you ........ NOT!!!

Again, a great piece, very nice wood and unique design.

Like Curt, I'm curious to see if you have warping issues over time in reference to moisture content of the purchased wood...

Patiently waiting for the next one...

Blog Entries
    I don't care who you are. That there is pretty!
    Have a Nice Day!

Very pretty piece. That's a gorgeous chunk of walnut, and almost seems a shame to put a lid on it.

I like the contemporary knob/finial... another beautiful piece.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post

If the lid begins to stick, I might be able to relieve the lid recess in the bowl if I can get it chucked up somehow.

John..... a donut chuck...you can use to access either the bottom or the top of a bowl or hollow form.

Very nicely done John....You obviously have an eye for form, detail ....Very nicely done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous!!
    Jim

Hi John,

Every one else has already said it...That is one great bowl. It has beautiful design, fantastic wood, and a great artist to make it all come out.

Thanks for the pictures. You made my day.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    So. Calif. 5 miles to ocean

Beautiful walnut!

John,
    Your talent is growing by leaps and bounds. What a great looking piece. Where do you find all the time? Way to go.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

John, I just wanted to add my acolades. Very nice piece.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

I like that design John. The Claro has some nice fiddleback & color, I love Claro. The maple seems to have enough figure to compliment the Claro, but not take away from it. Nice work John. Did somebody mention VORTEX?