Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Push me in right direction... unisaw question

Looks like this original post was six years ago. Unisaws have gone up in value so if you bought one back then you are ahead of the game. If you bought a new Grizzly you lost money.

What type of saw do u have lee?

Unisaw, and Unisaw Jr. All my tools are old now. I sold off my 2 Rikon Bandsaws and my more modern Delta Contractor saw. I guess my newest floor based power tool is a Minmax S45 bandsaw which is 22 years old.

Thats awsome.i dont know if you saw the pics of the unisaw im hopefully going to buy on saturday .will be my first vintage saw im just starting out really as a hobby do u have pics of your unisaw when you first got it

There is a thread for my Unisaw Jr on owwm.org which is called Unisaw Junior Table Saw Fix Up. It was in bad shape when I got it.

My Unisaw I only needed to pull the motor and align the pulleys so all 3 belts would work as it was running off 2 belts. I bought new Gates Premium AX 24 belts. My Unisaw has a 3 HP motor which I needed to wire 220 volts in my shop.

Your Unisaw looks nice. I think you will have fun getting it all working. Good luck with it.

Let me add a couple thoughts for the Grizzly option. I see they have a hybrid with a "2hp" motor for $700 right now. I think that is really at least what we used to call a 1hp motor but I used to use a saw with that size motor and it will cut 3+ inches deep in hardwood - but only with a good rip blade (I use a Freud 24 tooth) that is clean and reasonably sharp. So it is powerful enough as long as you are willing to swap blades to match what you are doing. With a 3hp or 5hp saw, you probably can just use a combination blade for everything.

The biggest advantage I see of the Grizzly is a more modern easily removable blade guard. To me that's a big deal, especially for a newer user. The tendency on older saws is to take off the blade guard and leave it off because it is in the way for some cuts and too slow to get on and off to be swapping it. I wouldn't buy the older saw unless it has at least a riving knife that isn't too tough to remove for dado cuts. Without a riving knife, you are more susceptible to kickback.

I also like the fact that the Grizzly fence locks at both ends. A biesemeyer does not but is a nice rip fence. Some jigs tend to lift the rip fence, even a feather board can. A fence locked at each end doesn't lift. The Grizzly weight also seems like something that would be more manageable.

I don't know what is best, just wanted to point out what I think are some advantages of the newer saw.

In case some people didn't notice, this thread was stated in 2010. Whatever the outcome, it's already happened.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

8. Go for the UniSAW and just ask the guy if he could negotiate the price a bit. That's it you are ready for some cool woodWork.

With the mod edits this thread is pretty confusing. And by the law of the Internet forum, newbies always fail to check the OP date.