Thread: Thanks to Steve Schlumpf

Thanks to Steve Schlumpf

Several weeks ago, perhaps a couple months, Steve sent me the plans and pictures of a study rest he had made. I liked the design and wanted to make one for myself. Found the wheels on line and Rockler had the track on sale, then made the frame out of maple that I had. Total $ are a little over 30.00 not counting glue and screws. As you can see I repositioned the arms in a dado slot so they won't move, not going to make a new frame to not show the first dado's. Steve's lathe has a 16" swing and mine is 20" so had to make some adjustments there but all in all turned out pretty well. I used the rest to finish the top of this piece and it worked like I wanted. Now what to do with the top of this piece???

Thanks again Steve, appreciate the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It sure did work out well and looks like it should do the job. Well done Steve.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks great! Another good reminder of another to do project!

Great job on your steady rest Steve! I like the idea of using dados - sure would help support the arms! When I made mine - it was before I owned a dado set - so may just upgrade mine one of these days!

Looking forward to seeing the turning that's on the lathe - with or without the top!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

congrats, it looks like it'll hold up pretty well.

Nice work on the steady. That is essentially the same principle used by Jeff Nicol, with the exception that he uses metal and a metal ring. It should work great. Somewhere, I saw one that used laminated plywood in a circular frame. If one did that, the dados could be created by gaps in the last plywood lamination.

On the vase, never having done one, I wouldn't be much help! But, seems it is rare to see a vase with a top that works really well. IMO it would be difficult to design a top that didn't compete with the shape of the vase. Someday, maybe I will attempt one, and have an opportunity to give it some deeper thought. Looks like this one is coming along nicely!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    On the vase, never having done one, I wouldn't be much help! But, seems it is rare to see a vase with a top that works really well. IMO it would be difficult to design a top that didn't compete with the shape of the vase. Someday, maybe I will attempt one, and have an opportunity to give it some deeper thought. Looks like this one is coming along nicely!!
    I believe I agree on the top, I keep looking at it and nothing comes to mind, of course I do that with other things-nothing coming to mind that is. The piece is coming along however it started out to be all cedar. My new hollowing tool seems to work quite well, especially at cutting the sides.

Steady

That looks nice Steve. How do you lock the tracks down? I can see screw holes in the empty dados, but can't figure how you can use them to lock the tracks in place, since there are no bolts going thru the tracks.

I have some skate board wheels on hand, maybe I can make one of those.

Bill,
    There is a flat head bolt called a T-Track bolt that slides in the track. There is a knob on the back side to tighten to keep it from moving. The knob is just like the one that holds the rest to the lathe bed at the bottom of the picture.

Actually a fairly simple design, looks very effective, and the $ sure is right! Nice job Steve.