My wife and I attended the St. Louis Woodworking Show on Saturday. As a handtool kind of guy, I can't say that I was impressed at all. I went with a pocket full of change expecting to get everything I needed but unless you are into power tools there wasn't much to look at. Lee Valey had a booth and I got to try their dovetail saws, which I was very impressed with for the money, but no discounts other than free shipping. They had a new Wenzloff dovetail saw on display but wouldn't let me "test drive" it. I was really supprised at the Rockler booth. All they had at the show were Bench Cookies. I guess there were a few deals to be had at various vendors if you needed any clamps.
The place was an absolute madhouse. My wife commented several times how rude the general public in attendance was and I noticed the same thing. We got the impression that better than 50% of the men in attendance didn't think the women should be there.
On a positive note, I attended the Hand Tool workshop put on by Mr. Roland Johnson and was VERY IMPRESSED. I now know more about hand planes and sharpening than I have learned in the past month on the internet. Also I think we may have a new woodworker in the family. My wife was allowed to make a custom ballpoint pen on a lathe. I'm pretty sure we are buying a lathe now!
Anyway thats my story and I'm sticking too it.
Thank You,
Bob Warfield