Thread: Gradient Paper???

Gradient Paper???

I ask this question here because most turners photogragh their work and I was wondering if you do are you using gradient paper as a background. If so what colors and how do you support it??? Any photos of your set up would be great. Thanks.
    John T.

John - I use the #39 color paper from here: http://www.phototechinc.com/graduate.htm

Some folks use the #9 but the dark shade is very dramatic and can overpower your subject.

I picked up a photo tent a while back from eBay and the paper just rests against the back of the cube.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I bought the #39, neutral gray to white background from here: http://www.alzodigital.com/online_st...ound_paper.htm
    The one I got is 31" x 43" and is actually a fairly heavy vinyl rather than paper. It is washable.

My tent starts out like this:

The background attaches to one of the crossbars with clothes pins:

It looks blue in the pic but it is gray.

The whole frame gets covered with a cloth and a couple of desk lights at the sides illuminate it. Two sheets of foamcore reflect the light from the front:

The camera peeks through between the foam core sheets to take the pic:

Take care
    Bob

very nice, Bob

Very nice, Bob.

Thank you for taking the time to post that, Bob! I see a background purchase in my future.

Well, the future came true and I am now $40 poorer thanks to this thread........
    Last edited by Robert McGowen; 02-15-2010 at 8:54 PM.

John, here is what I use.

I got my recipe from Bill Huber. My background is just clamped to the rear rail with two spring clamps. The gradient paper is the same that Steve uses. I just picked up a second piece that will be used at club meetings, so the original one doesn't get ruined. I got it on ebay (item 120529020427). I should have it in a few days, and I'll post my thoughts on it.

Bob, thanks for the photos of your set-up. I am going to have to "borrow" the reflector panel idea.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

John, I won't post a pic of my trashcan and pillow case. Even though it is freshly ironed!!

Seriously, I do appreciate you asking this question. It will answer a lot of questions for me. Bob's setup is neat, and Brian has some good suggestions, too.

I will be watching for other input.

love the photo tent bob. Nice job.

John,

I just got some gradient from ebay. It was one of the lower priced ones. Not happy with it, looks like it was just printed on a large scale plotter/printer. It has lines that are visible in the background. I will need to upgrade to one of the better backgrounds or go back to grey and cast a shadow. This is the setup I am currently playing with. A similar PVC frame to the others and some new lights. I also use clamp lights and reflectors depending on the piece. Reflections are still a challenge on shiny pieces. But I am learning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Update on my Ebay background

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    The gradient paper is the same that Steve uses. I just picked up a second piece that will be used at club meetings, so the original one doesn't get ruined. I got it on ebay (item 120529020427). I should have it in a few days, and I'll post my thoughts on it.
    Well, I got that ebay gradient paper today. It ended up being $18, and for that price I think it was worth it. However, it is not as nice as the #39 color paper from phototech. This is much thinner photo paper (not the heavy plastic of the #39) and you can tell this was printed by an inkjet printer. This is kind of homemade, while the #39 is professional.

As I said, I think it was worth the price, and is half of what phototech wants. Since this is my traveling background for my club duties, I think I did good. Also, I won't feel bad cutting this down to fit my tent.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.