Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24 x 28 pole barn

24 x 28 pole barn

Looking for a bit of input from those here on a pole building. Last year I built a 1200 square foot barn/garage at my place which is use for both shop and truck storage. For the exterior walls I used 2 x 4's horizontal and then installed a t1-11 type sheathing. Inpector passed it no problem.
    this year I'm looking to build a 24 x 28 at my fathers house (different city). I plan on using again 2 x 4's horizontally every 2' then 7/16" osb, then vinyl siding for the walls. This inspector says I need to install
    diagonal metal straps as a wind bracing on the walls then the osb, vinyl. Not sure what thickness he wants or how wide yet. Heck.. not even sure where I would buy this. Wouldn't the osb so the same thing as any metal wind bracing? I'm guessing if he demands it there isn't much we can do but not sure the reasoning here.
    Not in hurricane zone or anything.. NE Ohio
    any input appreciated.
    thanks, Mark.
    Last edited by Mark Boyette; 02-15-2010 at 3:37 PM.

A thing I learned years ago is to get as much advice from the inspector as possible, he is the one that has to be satisfied with the critical things. I would contact him if possible and ask him the questions you have.
    On the diagonal metal straps, Home Depot may carry what you need it will be a Strong tie brand name. You called your building project a pole barn, will you have 4x6" and 6x6" pressure treated posts set into the ground below the frost line like the typical construction of a pole building? If so I would think that this along with the OSB on the walls would be enough bracing that should take care of any wind other than a direct hit from a tornado.
    I had a 20x20x10' shop built in Northern California and the inspector made my builder add 2ea 4x8' sheets of 1/2 inch plywood on all 4 corners of the building and put nails in every stud 2 inches apart from floor to ceiling. He called it hurricane bracing. I called it earthquake bracing. The building went through the Loma Prieta earthquake without any cracks in the stucco unlike my house that was built in 1949.
    David B

thanks for the input David. yes.. I will be using 6 x 6 post set 38" in concrete. I'd rather build in increments of 10' for the spacing of the posts but the lot size won't work with those dimensions. The inspector calls the shots but I'm not sure I understand the logic. oh well.. hopefully they aren't that expensive.
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Boyette; 02-15-2010 at 5:53 PM.

I'm with the inspector on the diagonal bracing. Flexing and wracking under wind and snow loads can tear fasteners out of OSB in just a few years, especially if it ever gets wet (which will rot the fasteners down to nothing also). May seem OK now but the inspector has to assume someone someday will put off maintenance, especially because it isn't a home, it's just a shed and ripe for abuse/neglect.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I thought studs were spaced 16 inches apart?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    I'm with the inspector on the diagonal bracing. Flexing and wracking under wind and snow loads can tear fasteners out of OSB in just a few years, especially if it ever gets wet (which will rot the fasteners down to nothing also). May seem OK now but the inspector has to assume someone someday will put off maintenance, especially because it isn't a home, it's just a shed and ripe for abuse/neglect.
    Wouldn't that be the same on a standard build garage then? Which it isn't required for in this city.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Froehlich View Post
    I thought studs were spaced 16 inches apart?
    pole barn so no studs but there is 2 x 4 bracing. here's the last one we put up to show the difference in framing.

Last edited by Mark Boyette; 02-15-2010 at 7:52 PM.

I built my 24 x 40 pole barn 6 years ago, I am still finishing some work on the inside, but it is mostly done. I did not use 6x6's, I spent a year reading and talking with guys from forums from the middle of the country, where pole barns are everywhere. One suggestion I went with was laminating up the posts from 4 layers of 2x6's. On the sides I went up 14' so I needed an 18' post, I varied the lengths, used 0.60 PT underground and then the piece above was KD. That meant a 6' PT and a 12' KD, an 8 and 8, another 6 and 12 and than another 8 and 8. I also did not put all 4 pieces together on the ground, I added the upper (outside) layers after I buried the bottom. It was heavy, but one of the kids was still at home at the time, helped slide them in. I used a gun, added stainless (I think) underground and regular above.
    When I had all of the sides up, I cut the two inner layers to the same size with a water level, and then added the outer layers, but went 12" higher on the outside, then I just slipped the rim joist into that pocket. Did the same thing on the gable ends, it was a 28', but I added the outer afterleveling and then had the delivery guy hoist a doubled 40' gluelam into place, I was thrilled when I threw a 6' level on and it was straight.
    If I can be of help, please let me know, I had a great time building it, mostly by myself.

Here is picture from yesterday:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Boyette View Post
    pole barn so no studs but there is 2 x 4 bracing. here's the last one we put up to show the difference in framing.
    Not jabbing stick in your cage, but was this designed by someone who knows what he's doing? Engineer or architect? Perhaps the inspector is making you compensate for the lack of structural members.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Mark, an alternative might be wood wind bracing. I've attached drawings I did for two different clients. One was a small barn with wind bracing at the corners, and the other a larger one with bracing across the entire wall.

Check with the inspector.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Do the bracing; it is cheap and your dad will be happier in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Not jabbing stick in your cage, but was this designed by someone who knows what he's doing? Engineer or architect? Perhaps the inspector is making you compensate for the lack of structural members.
    yes.. it was designed by someone 25 years in the trade and 14 years as foreman.

Mark,
    Using the metal material, which is probably galvanized, you may want to research how the galvanized material reacts with the pressure treated lumber. I haven't kept up with the new pressure treatment chemicals.
    The bracing that I have seen at Home Depot is not horribly expensive and it won't hurt to over do the bracing of the building as the inspector wants.
    David B

14. Mark, try this link lots of info on braces. I'm in Canada and pole barn constructions are not the most popular type of framing up here. In our typical 2x4 or 2x6 , 16@ stud wall framing it is quit common to use these metal galvinised diagonal braces available at all building supply stores.
    http://www.strongtie.com/news/indust...ventional.html

In my neighborhood, there are quite a few morton buildings that are 20 years old and older, and morton used to warranty their posts for rotting off at the ground. They have repaired a lot of posts. My bil has one, probably near 30 and it has had several posts repaired. What they do is dig a hole around the pole, pull out what they can and pour it full of concrete and put a piece of metal on each side and bolt through the post to the metal. Seems as though it would be a good idea to build that way in the first place if your post is going to rot off.