Thread: Calling FLORIDA woodworkers.

Calling FLORIDA woodworkers.

I am located in ocala, Fl and have found two local sources for lumber, One guy has a personal stock of cedar of arounf 10,000-15,000 BF of Florida cedar. And another guy that has a selection of hardwoods that he gets through NAWLA.

I am trying to broaden my sources for lumber. And would like to hear any sources you have, Personal stocks sawmills etc.

My current stock is
    50BF of SYP
    400BF of Sweetgum
    150Bf of Cedar
    6BF of hard maple
    4BF of cypress
    2BF of cherry
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 02-16-2010 at 6:47 AM.

Hi Rob,

I'm just up the road from you in Gainesville. I haven't found too many commercial lumber yards in north central FL, but here are the places I visit:
    • For cypress, you can't beat Griffis Lumber in Gainesville.
    • For typical hardwood and plywood I use Grady Cabinet Works in Gainesville.
    • For QS lumber, exotics, and veneer I use Chipmunk Hardwoods in Edgewater.
    I have seen some adds on craigslist for local sawmills, but I've never used them so I can't comment on quality or availability of lumber. I also noticed a sign on I-75 last week for some sort of lumber place around Ocala. I went by it too fast to notice what or where the place was but I'll be looking for that sign on my next trip.

I strongly recommend keeping your eye on Craigslist and other auction sites. A few years back I was lucky enough to buy a couple hundred board feet of 4/4 cherry and walnut for around $3 a board foot. That plus some oak, QS white oak, cedar, and SYP, left over from other projects makes up the lumber I have hanging on the wall of my shop/garage.

Brian
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-21-2010 at 3:07 AM.

I was unware of Grady Cabinet works. That is good to know. I also have found two place is Jacksonville.
    1) A&M Supply
    2) Florida Southern Plywood
    This place is in Lakeland.
    1)Hardwood & Millwork
    I have not purchased from any of the above being new and all, but intend to try them in the future.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-21-2010 at 3:08 AM.

Thanks for the links guys i havnt been home the past week as im working in miami and only getting a day off a week. So my time right now is limited

5. I recently found http://www.lumberbylance.com online but have not called or been to his shop in person. He prefers you to call to get prices according the reply I got via email.

I use Weiss Hardwoods in Largo. I haven't been there but another one I hear about is Intercity Lumber in Tampa.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

It's a little further but fellow creeker Danny Hamsley has some nice sycamore and pecan. He is in Perry Georgia. He may have other varieties as well. He has his own sawmill.