Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updated new question: What would you do? - Laguna Resawmaster

Updated new question: What would you do? - Laguna Resawmaster

So, my uncle is moving out of the country and he asked me if I would be willing to sell his woodworking tools for him. I love to shop and sell tools so I said sure, we are meeting soon to put his prices on all of the tools and then I will try to sell them for more, hence my "cut".

He wants $1,000 for a Laguna Resawmaster bandsaw that has never been used. He bought it from someone who had never used it. I helped him set it up but he never used it.

This thing is HUGE and I just don't ever see me getting into veneer work. Even if I did, I think I would buy veneer rather than making it. (I don't have a good source of exotics around here).

So what would I use this huge bandsaw for, if not resawing?

I do not currently have a bandsaw so I need one, so this is an opportunity to use it, but is it too big?

If I don't keep it, what should I ask for it? They are currently $4,400 new...
    Last edited by Jeff Sudmeier; 02-16-2010 at 9:36 AM.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Got the space? Got the coin? Keep it. It's a bandsaw, you can use it for anything you may ever use any other bandsaw for. The chances of ever running across a new saw with that value for that price again, approaches something close to nil.

No such thing as too much bandsaw, provided you have room for it.
    Last edited by Jeff Willard; 02-16-2010 at 8:04 AM.

Yeah, I know I won't ever need a bigger bandsaw, but if I never use the full size is it worth the increased blade cost, etc for it?

I don't really have the space, but I am going to get a floor standing bandsaw at some point and this one doesn't take up that much more space..

If all I use it for is curved cuts in up to 8/4 stock will it do as good of a job as a saw designed to do those cuts?

In other words will the resaw master make the smaller cuts better than a good 14" bandsaw?
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Don't let that one get away, especially at that price. That saw is is very close to the 20 inch and can be used as any regular band saw. I have a Laguna 24" and could not be happier. Where are you located? Dino
    The lyf so short The craft so long to lerne

In reality, the blade cost is the same. The blade is longer and therefore will cut longer before dulling since each tooth sees wood less often than a smaller blade. keep it

You guys suck

I was really hoping for justification for not keeping it... it's still a ton of cash and I don't know if I can come up with it... He also has a big nice new cyclone that is NIB that I am getting for sure because my current setup is horrible so that's more cash..

Anyone have a reason not to keep it and instead sell it? Remember I get the money that it sells for over 1k
    Jeff Sudmeier

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Willard View Post
    Got the space? Got the coin? Keep it. It's a bandsaw, you can use it for anything you may ever use any other bandsaw for. The chances of ever running across a new saw with that value for that price again, approaches something close to nil.

No such thing as too much bandsaw, provided you have room for it.
    +1

I would also rethink your statement on veneer. That saw opens up a whole bunch of possibilities for you. Never mind exotics, it is really cool to be able to take an 8/4 slab of wood and resaw it into lots and lots of veneer - really allows you to get lots more yield from your stock and do some really cool wide panels.

Back to the saw - don't let that one slip away. Worst case scenario is that you get it and realize that you don't need it and resell down the road. You will still come out ahead.

Even if you dont plan on cutting your own veneer, just being able to cut a thicker piece into 2 bookmatched panels is a big plus. And you can cut thicker veneer than what you'll be able to buy. The kind that doesn't burn through at the touch of a ROS. Put a narrower blade on it for doing curved cuts. You're really going to kick yourself later if you let this go at that price.
    Use the fence Luke

I know, I've been drooling over it, prodding him for 5 years to sell it to me, it's just so huge that it's tight in the shop and money isn't exactly coming out of my ears..

I think you guys convinced me, it's just a question of how long he will wait for the cash.

I also have to figure out if the cyclone comes with ducting...

Other than the cyclone and the bandsaw he has a shaper that I would love to have, but there's no way I can fit it in my shop, it's just too big. I'd really like it but I'm crossing that one off of the list. (Delta shaper with delta power feeder for $600).
    Jeff Sudmeier

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier View Post
    So what would I use this huge bandsaw for, if not resawing?

I do not currently have a bandsaw so I need one, so this is an opportunity to use it, but is it too big?
    I wouldn't say the saw is too "big", but the whole design has concentrated on the resaw function. I would be satisfied with those tradeoffs made, but then I also have a 14" saw that handles small blades. Laguna specifications list the Min. Blade as 3/8", so you would be limited to that blades radius of cut.

That said, and even though I need another major machine and the task of moving one like I need a hernia, I would be interested in the saw if it is single phase 220V, and if you decide not to keep it.

Make sure to get the specifications of the saw as it exists, because earlier models may not reflect the current version's specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Murphy View Post
    I wouldn't say the saw is too "big", but the whole design has concentrated on the resaw function. I would be satisfied with those tradeoffs made, but then I also have a 14" saw that handles small blades. Laguna specifications list the Min. Blade as 3/8", so you would be limited to that blades radius of cut.

That said, and even though I need another major machine and the task of moving one like I need a hernia, I would be interested in the saw if it is single phase 220V, and if you decide not to keep it.

Make sure to get the specifications of the saw as it exists, because earlier models may not reflect the current version's specifications.
    Ahh yes, I remember that now, the current specifications are VERY close to this saw there is a minor difference but I don't recall what it was.

So, how many times would you want a blade smaller than 3/8", what cuts would I be limited on because I couldn't run a 1/4" blade? Could those cuts be made on a scrollsaw?

Thanks for all the help guys!!
    Jeff Sudmeier

Blog Entries
    Wait, If your getting a cut for helping your uncle sell his tools, can your cut be tools?

Of course I don't know the details of the agreement but I think a negotiation may be in order and see if your uncle can afford to be generous (if your the favorite Nephew).

If it were me and I could scrape up the cash I would have to keep the saw. At the very least keep it for a while and if you find it is really more machine then you want to use, sell it. I would think that you could get 2x or 3x more then the grand your uncle wants for it.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    Wait, If your getting a cut for helping your uncle sell his tools, can your cut be tools?

Of course I don't know the details of the agreement but I think a negotiation may be in order and see if your uncle can afford to be generous (if your the favorite Nephew).

If it were me and I could scrape up the cash I would have to keep the saw. At the very least keep it for a while and if you find it is really more machine then you want to use, sell it. I would think that you could get 2x or 3x more then the grand your uncle wants for it.

Yes, my cut can definately be the tools, but the rest of what he has isn't going to be hugely profitable to sell. By far the most profitable will be the bandsaw..
    Jeff Sudmeier

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier View Post
    Ahh yes, I remember that now, the current specifications are VERY close to this saw there is a minor difference but I don't recall what it was.

So, how many times would you want a blade smaller than 3/8", what cuts would I be limited on because I couldn't run a 1/4" blade? Could those cuts be made on a scrollsaw?

Thanks for all the help guys!!
    There is a generic table with radius of cut, and I will try and post that. The 3/8" blade shows a 1-1/2" radius of cut, the 1/4" blade a 5/8" radius of cut. It is not quite that simple though, because blade thickness and "set" (kerf produced) will change those values.

For example you couldn't saw some of the profiles I've seen on reproduction bracket feet, nor could you do those same cuts on a scrollsaw. If you are looking to saw thinner stock, then the scrollsaw would be in it's element.

Radius of cut table (hope this formats correctly):

Blade Width

1/8"

3/16"

1/4"

3/8"

1/2"

3/4"

1"

Cut Radius

3/16"

5/16"

5/8"

1 1/2"

2 1/2"

5 1/2"

7"

Alrighty, I'll do my best to get it. For the most part a 1 1/2" radius will be fine but there will be times I will go back to the old jig saw or scroll saw and if those add up maybe I'll resell or get another bandsaw.

My main issue now is coming up with the cash. I have hemoraged money lately on tools, none that I regret but the tool budget is very small
    Jeff Sudmeier