Thread: Suitable Font for 60 degree V-bit?

Suitable Font for 60 degree V-bit?

Looking for suggestions on fonts to use with a 60 degree v-bit on an Elks wall plaque measuring about 16" x 11.25" with 1" and .5" letters on pine material.

I have tried using the Verdana font but I get some chipping and broken letters and it is not too impressive.

I am running 12K speed with a spindle and moving at 1.7ips.

Is a single line font suitable for something like this or are those type fonts mostly for rotary or drag engravers?

Any suggestions please?

I don't think the font is necessarily your problem, I'd be more inclined to look at the material, speed and feed rate instead. Try running your text in some hard maple using multiple passes and see what happens. I would bet that it will work much better than pine. I've never liked working with pine, if I need a light wood I would use maple.

Gary

Gary

I agree with you on the pine comments - trouble is that this plaque should match the existing plaques on the wall of the Elks lodge. The wood will be stained a tan color to match the other plaques.

Modern Font is a single stroke font. I use it to outline with 2 inch high text and a 3/8 inch flat bottom bit. Looks like a hand routed with a 2 inch plastic stencil.

I use Arial Black for most of my small V60 Text.

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 02-25-2010 at 2:41 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Thanks for your inputs Al and Gary. Appreciate it.