Thread: Problem with Delta 46-460

Problem with Delta 46-460

My Delta 46-460 has begun popping the GFCI recently but works fine on a regular 3 prong outlet.
    I've replaced the GFCI outlet, the 3 prong plug on the lathe and blown out the interior of the control box with air. All to no avail.
    Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you solve it?

Just theorizing here (BS warning), but depending on the load and speed, the current draw might have a lot of variance causing it to trip?

Why are you running it on GFCI? Your blanks'd have to be PRETTY GREEN to mandate running on GFCI...

You solve it by just using a regular outlet. You don't need a GFCI on your lathe. I had one that I had my Rikon plugged into when I first started because it was in a handy place for the lathe. I got tired of resetting it all the time and replaced it with a regular outlet. I don't have one in the shop now.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The only reason I was using a GFCI outlet was because it was the closest to the lathe (which is the only thing on the circuit). The lathe had been running fine for about 6 months off the same circuit.

An electrician told me the variable speed circuit boards get dirty and that could be the problem but I blew it off with compressed air and still the problem persists.

I'm using a regular outlet right now but I would like to find out what the problem is and how to fix it, if at all possible.

There isn't a "CONTACT US" button on the Delta website so I don't know how to contact them. Does anyone have a suggestion along those lines?

Jim

Jim think about this---every time you start the lathe the motor has a peak amp draw---GFCI's don't really like that.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Jim,
    Your GFCI outlet might be going bad. You might be able to avoid the issue for now by ramping up your speed as you start to limit the current demand (rather than asking the lathe to come to 1500 rpms right now).

GFCIs don't like VFDs and vice versa. The electrical noise generated by VFDs makes GFCIs nuisance trip. Probably nothing wrong with your lathe or GFCI, they just don't like one another.

Jim GFI or GFCI is a ground-fault circuit interrupter thay are used primarly in wet location where elec. will be used neer water. thay react to sudden spikes in amp draw and high amp draws. lets say you have a 10 amp GFCI and you have a spike to lets say 6 amps really quickly it will pop off just as it would if you had 12 or 15 amps. GFCI are not ment to be used in your application unless you use your lathe out side or over a sink.
    hope this helps.

Eric

I believe I would just use a regular outlet.I wouldn't take any chances of doing any damage to my lathe.
    Donny

Unfortunately, a casual observer might see this thread title and think there is someone out there who doesn't love his/her 46-460.

Delta 46-460

Not a chance it's the lathes fault!!
    Peter

Gfci

Had the same thing happen to me when I got my Jet 1014VS. Took it off theGFCI and doesn't do it anymore.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

You replace the GFI, so it is not that. VFD's and GFCI's don't get along. Just make it a plain circuit.

As to those who ask why a GFCI outlet, it is code in some areas.

[I] recently thought the motor was going out on my vintage craftsman table saw.After bypassing the switch it ran fine.
    I pulled that old switch and replaced it.Works fine.