Thread: Tool Handels

Tool Handels

I received the 9 pc screwdriver set from Lee Valley, and would like some ideas as to handles.
    I wood like to make 3 sided, but have no idea how.
    All ideas welcome.

Terry

I am a little confused, but maybe I'm slow. My wife thinks so anyway. When you say three-sided do you mean like a long triangle? If so, I would bevel your tablesaw blade and run them through twice (push stick please) or run them through a large chamfer bit on the router table (a little safer)

I think Bob Hamilton posted a link to a video on these recently. Take a look for threads that he started.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Bob's video and LV Handle thread

Here is a link ( http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=131841 ) to the recent thread on the LV handles. Bob's comment has a link to his video on turning a multi axis handle.

Turning a triangle handle is done using 3 or four "centers". Actual center plus three others that are used to form three different radii. You can layout your blank using a compass.

Getting a good result takes a little practice with both the layout and the turning. I will see if I can find some of the notes I used when I turned a couple.
    Last edited by Mark Hubl; 02-17-2010 at 3:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hubl View Post
    Here is a link ( http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=131841 ) to the recent thread on the LV handles. Bob's comment has a link to his video on turning a multi axis handle.

Turning a triangle handle is done using 3 or four "centers". Actual center plus three others that are used to form three different radii. You can layout your blank using a compass.

Getting a good result takes a little practice with both the layout and the turning. I will see if I can find some of the notes I used when I turned a couple.
    Wow! I see said the blind man. I really never thought about how this would be done on a lathe. this is really a great video. Makes me want to make some handles.

Perfect!
    I don't have a table saw, so this is what I was looking for.
    Thanks
    Terry

Thanks for the link Mark. Now I know why I couldn't find the the thread, which is why I didn't post the link - Bob didn't start the thread.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.