Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Figured Koa Humidor

Blog Entries

Figured Koa Humidor

This is my latest creation. This was built for a woman who wanted something special for her husband. It's made of figured Koa, figured Maple, Walnut and Spanish Cedar. The tiles in the bottom are moveable to organize cigars in groups. The finish is 12 coats of Lacquer. It's brushed on and blocked out by hand. Please enjoy.

What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Absolutely incredible. The corner detail is stunning, I'm afraid to ask what the cost for a piece like that is.

Wow. That is beautiful.....

I love how you did the corners. It looks like that took a while....

Doug

Crazy nice! The detail is stunning.

Blog Entries
    Thanks very much. I can't take credit for the pattern on the corners. I learned that from Jameel Abraham, a member here. He used this pattern on an Oud he made and posted here. IMHO it should be a sticky. Thanks again Jameel. My customer actually saw another humidor I made using this technique and requested it. I'm going to try a few other variations of this in the future.

Bill, That is a beauty. I love all the figured grain. Is that an inlay on the top? I keep looking at all the details--great work. Thanks for sharing.

Sweet work Bill - Fantastic!

Blog Entries
    Thanks again. Yes there is an "S" on the top for their last name. It's done in Curly Maple. I tried to use a grain as close to the Koa's as possible.

There are boxes and then there are boxes. This one is definitely out of the box. Incredible! Gorgeous! etc etc.

That is stunning Bill. I'd say the woman definitely got something special for her husband (who is apparently one lucky guy).
    Well done!
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Bill that is stunning.

How long did it take to build? Even in the pictures you can see the depth of the lacquer. I can only imagine how nice it looks in person.

great job! joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

She sure is a beauty, Bill. Thanks for sharing it.

I do have one question, as it pertains to a piece that I'm currently building (which includes a small humidor). My understanding was that many enthusiasts would not tolerate humidors that have much in the way of modern chemistry -- i.e., lots of modern glue, finishes like lacquers, or MDF components, since the off-gassing affects cigar flavors.

Have you ever gotten any feedback on this kind of thing, or is the reality perhaps that most people can't tell the difference?

-b

WOW!!
    What an amazingly beautiful box Bill. I love it. Amazing figure in the wood and exquisit execution on the build!

My good friend just called me yesterday to tell me that he brought me some Koa back from his trip to Hawaii. I hope its half as beautiful as that stuff.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

There are woodworkers that can get the tools to do a good job.
    And then there are woodworkers that can get the tools to do an unbelievable job.

You Bill fall into the second category...
    That is one sweet humidor!

Bill, it takes a unique combination of artistry, talent, patience, and technique to do this level of work. The materials you used blend with such magic - something very hard to obtain with such figured woods. Absolutely a masterpiece! I think I looked at the pics 5 times! Unbelievable!!