Thread: leaded acrylic

leaded acrylic

I have a piece of leaded acrylic approximately 24 inch X 30 inch X 12 mm thick. It has a label stating "Equivalent to .5 mm lead". Is this something not to try cutting with my laser? What is it good for? I work in a hospital and we throw away sooooo much stuff. This was part of a portable lead radiology sheild. Yes I also have the lead from the rest of the wall.( Diving weights for my weekend gold mining escapades).
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

Whether it will cut I can't say, but if you try it, do use respiratory protection because that kind of heat will produce lead fumes that won't be good for you.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I would strongly advise against cutting leaded acrylic using a laser. Provided your laser is powerful enough to overcome the 30% embedded lead:

()

You would have a serious fume problem with the lead becoming laser ejecta. It would probably be fine to cut on a tablesaw or other non-fume-generating method.

Well I HAD to TRY it. My 60 watts at 100% power 3% speed did not get half way throught it. I only tried a corner to see what would happen, with my hand on the door handle to stop the beam just in case ..... Thanks Jaime
    P.S. I have a good exhaust. Only 2 foot to the outside wall and no neighbors.
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

Quote Originally Posted by James Rambo View Post
    Yes I also have the lead from the rest of the wall.( Diving weights for my weekend gold mining escapades).
    Do they 'know' you have the lead from the wall? The last time I took lead to the scrap yard, I got a buck a pound for it.. Could be there's someone wondering where all their lead went? Hint: 'Try not to look guilty'
    You know the old saying about jail...
    o = before
    O = after
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Yes, the director of the radiology department generated a work request to "throw the wall away". The director of the maintenance department that I work in knows that I have been gold mining and a liittle under water searches for gold and asked me if I wanted it. Diving weights go for about $3.95 a pound. Thanks, Jaime.

Boy! it's been a long time since I bought any diving weights.. I still have a 8lb and a 3lb that I use in the shop to hold things down.. I always used to pour my own, still have a few old molds around.. How much lead did you get out of the wall James?
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

I have not had the time to take it apart. I worked yesterday and am working today.
    I have Monday off and will try to get it apart . I guess-timate it is only about 10 pounds.

Well, that's 3, 3pounders, and a fishing weight... And a savings of $39.50... nothing to sneeze at..

lead

BOY was my guess-timate wrong. I took the time after work yesterday, before I had to pick up my brother from the airport. It weighs in at 20.5 pounds. Not too bad. That was definately worth it. I had left it in the sun to warm up the glues to peel it off easier. it only tookkabout 20 minutes. now I need to melt it down, outside of course.

I had both a old propane burner/pot and a electric 50lb capacity for inside use in the winter. I think I still have a closed two part 8lb mold someplace, it looks like a claymore but without the 'This Side Towards Enemy" notice Alas, my diving days are over. Last time down was over 20 years ago, welding on a marine railway.