Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurekazone's EZ Smart Guide

Eurekazone's EZ Smart Guide

This is one person's thoughts after playing with the Smart Guide system.
    This is an antichip and guide rail system that is designed to be used with your own circular saw.
    The pics were taken by Dennis Peacock at my BBQ last weekend. They show what you get with the smart guide system. 2-50" rails with connectors to make 1-100" guide, 1 smart base, zero clearance anti-chip inserts, and two smart clamps. Also included is some double stick tape, and screws and t-nuts for fastening your saw to the base. Either can be used. Also shown is a cross section of the guide rail itself.
    The instructions seemed pretty straightforward and, unusual for me, I actually scanned them before putting things together.
    The first step is mounting your saw to the base. The smart base has a raised rim around it to aid in properly positioning the saw. The saw I used was an old Porter Cable and the base was too wide to mount it in the correct position so I trimmed the saw base down a bit (subject of a whole other thread already posted). I have since discovered that had I notified Eurekazone of the saw model they would have trimmed the raised rim off one side of the smartbase prior to shipping.
    There are two types of antichip inserts for the base and it comes with 2 of each. One kind is designed for use without the guide (the smart base can be purchased individually) and the other for use with the guide.
    The inserts slide in from the front of the saw and snap into place. Because of the way my saw sets the depth of cut, to cut the blade slot I simply set the saw on the edge of a table with the blade lowered and slid the insert in with the saw running.
    I used the saw both with and without the guide and the cut was chip free on both sides of the blade. To cut without the guide I used a straightedge and measured the offset just as you normally would.
    The smartguide has an anti-chip insert on both edges that is trimmed by the saw blade so it lines up exactly with the cut line. The guide itself is a rigid aluminum extrusion approximately ½” thick. It has a raised ridge along the center line for the base to ride on. There are two grooves in the bottom for attaching the clamps and for the two connectors to fasten two guides together for longer cuts.
    The clamps which mount under the guide are normally oriented parallel to the guide and in this position will clamp a piece 1-3/4 wide for trimming and still have the edge of the stock at the centerline of the clamp. If you remove the screw and spring from the end of the clamp it will pivot so you can clamp a very narrow piece. The clamps are designed in such a way that they give you enough clearance under the stock you can actually lay it on the floor or bench to cut.
    As I said this is just one persons look at the Smart Guide system from Eurekazone. I think it is an excellent system for chip free cutting of panel stock. Unfortunately I don’t have an operable camera at the moment so I can’t give any detail pictures of the actual cuts and the set-up. If you are contemplating a guided circular saw system I think this one deserves serious consideration.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Thanks for the review, Steve.

Nice job Steve!

At the risk of gilding a lily, may I make a few observations? A couple things that might not be immediately apparent to some reading your review that are worth noting...

The SmartGuide is bidirectional, that is to say that the same zero offset and splinterfree qualities are present on both sides of the guide. Much less swapping around of the guide, as well as the ability to utilize one side if the other becomes damaged.

Also, the joining of the rail sections is noteworthy. Unlike any other system (of which I am aware anyway), the SmartGuide uses three self aligning, "dovetailed" connectors which give you a virtually seamless connection, with none of the flex that users of other guides have complained of.

I hope this isn't meddling, you did a fine job! Thanks for giving the SmartGuide a day in the sun

Paul

Eurekazone's EZ Smart Guide

Steve,

Excellent report, short, descriptive and to the point.

You didn't mention the Smart Table (not required to use the system) but I find the table to be great for me, especially when cutting plywood. (My back isn't that great and it saves all that bending and the likes).

Regards, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

Is it useable with a router too or just a circ saw ?

Very usable... In fact they label it as like having a handheld CNC and while I was skeptical it is in fact true. Very very slick setup! Have a look at the examples they post on their site (www.eurekazone.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher
    Is it useable with a router too or just a circ saw ?
    As Paul said it is very useful with a router. They have a universal router base that can be used in conjunction with the guide rail for dados,flutes,grooves etc.
    The points that Paul made regarding using both sides of the guide are right on as is the comment on joining the rails together. When I did that I could not feel when I went over the joint with the saw.
    Joe you're right, I didn't mention the smart table because I only wanted to discuss the guide rail system. The table is quite useful as you pointed out and can be otained either in kit form or fully assembled with fold-up metal legs and will support a 4x8' sheet easily.
    By the way the blade I used on my saw was a 10 dollar Oldham from Home Depot.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

An Altendorf, it's not! BUT, a great system, nonetheless. Thanks for an excellent overview Steve, and Dennis, very well defined pics!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

LOL.. But, can you put an Altendorf in the trunk of your car, or stash it on a shelf when not in use?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Berendsohn
    LOL.. But, can you put an Altendorf in the trunk of your car, or stash it on a shelf when not in use?
    Only if it's a real, REAL BIG car or shelf! Forklift would be handy, too.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I had a chance at Terry's CSBBQ to mess with the guide that Steve Clardy brought. We also played with the router guide. We found it to have too much play in it as we zipped it up and down the guide (no router attached). Now perhaps there is some adjustment to it that we weren't aware of or perhaps it works better with a router attached...I don't know. All we did was plop the guide on there and move it around a bit.

I still have my EZ stuff in a box...guess I should get it outa the box, eh? Oh wait, my garage is still in chaos!!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Play where Chris? From your description it sounds like you mean in the plaform that rides on the guide rail, but I can't see how that's even possible judging from mine which is machined to give a tight dovetailed fit on the rail... can you describe where the play was?

Yo! Coffelt, Clardy...help me out here. All three of us were messing with it, Paul. Maybe between the three of us, we can be clearer. All I know is that we were disappointed with the play. Steve Clardy meant to contact Dino about it but I'm sure he forgot...he is like that...
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Believe me I know the feeling... I have a long list of things to attend to, if I can only find the list

But judging from my router setup, it's as tight as... ummm a duck's backside (or should that be a dove's tail? .

Ok. I'm here

I concur with most said here. This is a great system. I do have a couple of things to work out with it through Dino. I haven't had the time.
    I have been working on my own review, and have most all of the pics taken. None on the router attachment or table yet.
    The router attachment on mine does have some play in it. But I think that when you set it up, and push your router in the direction it needs to go, the pressure from pushing will make the slop go away, as long as you keep constant pressure pushing your router forward.

When I set my base up, I did the cutting of the insert differently. I did it by the directions and it worked really well. Install eureka base, raise saw up off it's base, like you are going to set the depth of cut, set the saw down on a scrap that is clamped over the table edge, and plunge the running saw into the insert, holding everything tightly down to the scrap. What you are doing here is having a backer board under the plastic insert so the blade won't catch it and break it, like I did one of mine.
    Heres a shot of a crosscut on poplar plywood. Absoutely no chip out on either side.

Later
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Clardy; 10-28-2004 at 12:15 PM.