Thread: Lacquer curing

Lacquer curing

How long do I need to let lacquer cure before before I buff? I have heard 2 days and 28 days, and everything in between.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Brian,

I am pretty impatient and I can tell you more than a day or it will melt. I have had better luck hiding a piece for a week.

Brian, my experience has been that if I buff it out in less than a week, I can melt the lacquer with the friction. OTOH, many of our club members who use lacquer, polish on the lathe using pads similar to these and mineral spirits as a lubricant. This can be done literally minutes after spraying.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Brian - what kind of lacquer are you using? I know there are 2 major types of lacquer and the drying times are really different.

Any chance there is information available on the manufacturer's website - or at least a 'contact us' button where you can ask questions about a particular product?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I use Deft rattle can lacquer and like to let it dry for 10 to 14 days. In town here they have stopped carrying Deft and now all I can find is Minwax Lacquer. It seems to take a little longer to cure hard than Deft. May just be me but I don't buff it for at least 3 weeks. Also Brian drying time in your area will make a difference.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Brian - what kind of lacquer are you using? I know there are 2 major types of lacquer and the drying times are really different.

Any chance there is information available on the manufacturer's website - or at least a 'contact us' button where you can ask questions about a particular product?
    Steve,

I am using Cabot rattle can lacquer. I'll check thir website, and see if I can contact them.
    Brian

Also Deft spray can (it doesn't actually rattle), and 3 days in a 70 degree, 50% rh shop is adequate. And/but I usually buff only lightly with white compound. For a high-build finish I would wait a week before wet sanding level and buffing.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    I use Deft rattle can lacquer and like to let it dry for 10 to 14 days. In town here they have stopped carrying Deft and now all I can find is Minwax Lacquer. It seems to take a little longer to cure hard than Deft. May just be me but I don't buff it for at least 3 weeks. Also Brian drying time in your area will make a difference.
    Did you check the local *marts for Deft? Both the K and W carry them here. I do like Deft. I sprayed a travel mug that I use every day for a year now. Finish is still holding strong. How's the Minwax?

Wait overnight...

Brian,

Russ Fairfield, in his finishing secrets, provides a step-by-step article on finishing a turned item with lacquer. His last step is to wait overnight before buffing. Note: He was using Deft brushing lacquer, not the rattle can lacquer you're using.

Here's a link to Russ' article: http://www.woodturnerruss.com/FSOriginal5.html

Not being a finishing guru, and knowing what brands are the best, my choice of Cabot was because the hardware store I like to buy from carries it. They are a great store with excellent service. The economy has been hard on them, and I like to spend what few dollars I do in a local "good service place". My few dollars don't help much, but if a lot of peolpe shop there then maybe..... They are close to home, and I'd like them to stay around.

I did call Cabot this morning, and they wern't much help. She just read from the can label. I did that (yes, I am a guy and I read directions). I also e-mailed their tech support, and am waiting for a reply. I hope it is better.
    Last edited by Brian Brown; 02-19-2010 at 12:59 AM.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    I did call Cabot this morning, and they wern't much help. She just read from the can label.
    Now that's funny - I don't care who you are! Thanks for the laugh!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that tech support doesn't have to borrow a can to read from!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!