Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drawboring

Making Your Own Drawbore Pin

I have a question about making your own drawbore pins. I read the article by Chris Schwartz about making your own drawbore pins and picked up the punch and alignment set from Sears that he recommended. I have some nice walnut to use for the handles.

Question is, how important is the step where he suggests heating up the metal punch with a torch prior to pounding it into the handle? The article states that this is to char the wood as the handle is pushed into the hexagonal top of the punch and prevent the wood handle from splitting. Since the hole drilled for the handle is round and the top of the punch is a hexagon, the punch is biting into the wood as you go.

I don't own a torch like that and I'm wondering if I can accomplish the same thing without one. Any ideas?

Andy - Newark, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pedler View Post

I don't own a torch like that and I'm wondering if I can accomplish the same thing without one. Any ideas?

Andy - Newark, CA
    Holding it over a gas stove top burner works fine. I makes a surprisingly strong bond. I used maple for the handle and there is no way that punch is ever coming out.