Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a pin table? How tall are the pins?

Do you have a pin table? How tall are the pins?

I'm considering either making or buying a pin table. What I can't tell exactly from any of the pin tables I can find on the market is: how tall are the pins?

A little background:

On my Epilog Zing, I usually support workpieces with four 4" tall aluminum blocks. Using these blocks, there is absolutely no back-burining.

This method has worked well enough, but I'm starting to see the limitations as I get much more efficient with programming artwork. Now, most of the time there is no material left between my lasered pieces, and so I can't count on the material itself to provide any support. Seems to me that a pin table is an ideal solution. Any thoughts or suggestions here?

An idea I have been toying with is get some "L" aluminum channel, cut it to different sizes and add a couple magnets to the bottom.

http://www.brunnerent.com/Tools/Port...r=4&strMetaTag=

These would be easy to set up as well as store. They could be staggered, as well as set at angles. Very versitile.

And Cheap!

I haven't had a chance to get some in to try yet, but I thought I'd toss it out there in case it may fit your needs. If airflow becomes an issue I could drill holes through it to help promote the air flow.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

That's an interesting idea. I have a few of my own, as well. But I'm still curious what people think the pin depth should be. With a 2"FL lens and a 30W tube, I wonder what the minimum depth between the workpiece and the bed should be to prevent the back of the workpiece from being marred by the beam.

Blog Entries
    Depends upon your power level and the material you're cutting. 1" would probably be safe for a lot of materials, like wood, but to be on the safe side I would go with 1.5-2". Experiment and see...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I would go with 1.5-2". Experiment and see...
    Looks like that's what I'll be doing. Acrylic is my target material, so I'll err on the tall side of things.

The vector pin table I purchased has 2 5/8" pins

The vector pin table I purchased has 2 5/8" pins.

If you need photo to assist you, let me know and I'll post.
    Bugs

Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W
    Job Control X
    Mac/Fusion 10
    Corel 2018

I have my acrylic up off the table 1". Are you all saying here that having the work higher than that will eliminate the "smoke damage I experience if I remove the protective covering from the underside of the acrylic? If I could remove just one side of the protective covering it sure would speed things up with the things I am producing. Being able to remove the protective covering from both sides and somehow not end up with smoke stains would be a huge thing for me.
    Joe
    ULS VLS230
    Roland MDX-40
    CorelDraw X3 and X5
    ArtCam
    MasterCam
    Thermwood Model 40 4'x8' CNC

I'm no expert for sure.

Joe,

I'm no expert by a long shot as I'm just learning. I cut a ton of acrylic this winter as I made about 200 ornaments.

I was having all kinds of smoke residue (don't clean it with brake fluid - that's another whole story) and purchased some pin tables.

It worked for me as the residue is no longer there.
    Bugs

Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W
    Job Control X
    Mac/Fusion 10
    Corel 2018

Blog Entries
    Joe,

Height of the pins doesn't really have an effect on smoke damage, just on flashback.

Quote Originally Posted by donald bugansky View Post
    Joe,

I'm no expert by a long shot as I'm just learning. I cut a ton of acrylic this winter as I made about 200 ornaments.

I was having all kinds of smoke residue (don't clean it with brake fluid - that's another whole story) and purchased some pin tables.

It worked for me as the residue is no longer there.
    Donald,
    Are you saying that the pin table cured your smoke damage problem? How high are the pins above the table?
    Joe
    ULS VLS230
    Roland MDX-40
    CorelDraw X3 and X5
    ArtCam
    MasterCam
    Thermwood Model 40 4'x8' CNC

The pins raise about 2" above the table

Joe,

The pins helped minimize the smoke damage as the pins allow the smoke to be drawn immediately into the exhaust. When I just used the honeycomb vector table, I think the smoke was trapped just long enough to leave the residue. Now it's rare that I get noticeable smoke damage.

Another issue was that I was using inexpensive acrylic from the big box stores and it only had the plastic covering on both sides which required you to remove it prior to cutting as it would melt if you left it on.

So in the end, I believe if you use the acrylic with the paper coating (remove it from the top but leave the bottom on) it is a major improvement and may mitigate the need for a pin table.
    Bugs

Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W
    Job Control X
    Mac/Fusion 10
    Corel 2018

Blog Entries
    Donald,

If you remove the plastic, replace it with vinyl transfer tape... no more smoke damage.

Good point Dan

I forgot to mention that. In the end, it's far better (for me at least) to just buy the better acrylic versus pulling off plastic covering, then masking with tape.

The masking (bought at LaserBits so I'm not sure if it was vinyl) worked but when using larger acrylic sheets 24x18, I had issues with getting the air bubbles out of the masking, plus fighting with the roll as it took multiple rows of masking to cover the sheet and then cutting a clean edge each time I ran a row of masking....blah blah blah. What was supposed to be fun turned into a pain in the rear end. It only took about 5 sheets of the cheaper acrylic and issues above to just move to better acrylic.

After a frustrating weekend, I just bought the better acrylic, pulled the top layer off and had some fun.

Much easier and a whole lot more fun!
    Bugs

Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W
    Job Control X
    Mac/Fusion 10
    Corel 2018

THANK YOU!

I ended up finding a cache of 3.75" pins, so at least I'll know that they're over-spec. If you find the time, a picture would be very helpful, thanks!

Hey Bugs,
    Where did you get the pin table? from Trotec? or other?
    Please post a pic

Daniel, Did you have your cache of 3.75" pins just hanging around or where can one get them now may be a better question?

I've been wanting to make one out of 1/2" solid surface for the base and drill the grid of holes on my CNC. If we can find some good (inexpensive) pins this could end up as something good for all.

Thanks and ...
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=