Thread: Thoughts on Laguna Lathes

Thoughts on Laguna Lathes

I just bought a Laguna Platinum 18/47 Variable speed lathe and cant wait to try it. I was just wondering if anyone has this one and what you think.
    Was this a good choice?

congrats on the new lathe Joe, and welcome to the creek. the question of " was this a good choice " will be what you think. and only time will tell..but I hope you will be happy with you new lathe and look forward to seeing what you turn
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Hi Joe. I had the same thoughts and I was really thinking of buying the 1847. I read hours of threads on lathes and this is what I came up with.
    1. I really didn't see any real difference between the Laguna and the same lathe under Grizzly's name.
    2. What I did find out from the sales rep was that the laguna has a special torque encoder in the motor.
    3. I also was not happy with the warranty on the Laguna (1yr) as apposed to the Jet 1642 (5yrs). I would have to wonder why Laguna has not kept in stride of some of the other manufacturers.
    4. I also was a bit skeptical of the variable speed on the Laguna. I don't think it goes all the way to zero or at least 100 RPM's.
    5. I read many threads on here and on several other wood turning forums and I really did struggle with my decision. But, I decided to go with the Jet 1642.
    I hope that you have a ton of fun with your new lathe and would really like to hear your opinion on how it runs.
    Bill Wilcox

Joe the identical twin that's sold here in Canada, made in the same factory and identical but for the end of the headstock spindle, has gotten nothing but rave reviews from the turners that use them over here, except for one thing, that is the handles that tighten the tool-rest and the tailstock quill, the outer head part strips out as it is made from soft metal, they have been replace by a different handle but still not good, so rave reviews but for those two handles, better ones are available for just a few dollars.
    I personally have turned on one for half a day at a friends place, and no it isn't a Oneway, but a very good lathe especially for the money, it can't be beat.
    the motor can slow down to stop and very slow for drying finishes on the lathe and has lots of power, I'm sure you will be very happy with that lathe, the guys here are certainly so.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Joe the identical twin that's sold here in Canada, made in the same factory and identical but for the end of the headstock spindle, has gotten nothing but rave reviews from the turners that use them over here, except for one thing, that is the handles that tighten the tool-rest and the tailstock quill, the outer head part strips out as it is made from soft metal, they have been replace by a different handle but still not good, so rave reviews but for those two handles, better ones are available for just a few dollars.
    I personally have turned on one for half a day at a friends place, and no it isn't a Oneway, but a very good lathe especially for the money, it can't be beat.
    the motor can slow down to stop and very slow for drying finishes on the lathe and has lots of power, I'm sure you will be very happy with that lathe, the guys here are certainly so.
    This raises an interesting question. The Craftex from Busy Bee that Leo mentions apparently hasn't had the problems with lower speeds and pulsing that is plaguing the new Grizzly. I wonder if the electronics are actually the same? Supposedly the Craftex, Laguna, and Grizz all come from the same supplier. Perhaps different specs on some electrical components? The parts diagrams are idnetical. Laguna lists a 60 RPM low speed on the spec page online(though the label on the lathe says "0", as does the owner's manual), Craftex says 0 RPM. Grizzly has changed the specs on the front page but not on the spec sheet or manual.

you get what you pay for.

Welcome SMC Joe. Congrats on your lathe.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

8. Is there much difference in 50 rpm and 100?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt View Post
    This raises an interesting question. The Craftex from Busy Bee that Leo mentions apparently hasn't had the problems with lower speeds and pulsing that is plaguing the new Grizzly. I wonder if the electronics are actually the same? Supposedly the Craftex, Laguna, and Grizz all come from the same supplier. Perhaps different specs on some electrical components? The parts diagrams are idnetical. Laguna lists a 60 RPM low speed on the spec page online(though the label on the lathe says "0", as does the owner's manual), Craftex says 0 RPM. Grizzly has changed the specs on the front page but not on the spec sheet or manual.

Hi guys,

I just joined the forum yesterday, and am the guy that made the issue on the "other forum" most notable. In the grand scheme of things, I wonder is there a big difference in 50 rpms? I have turned for over 8 years, and am a member of a turner's club that demonstrates on a PM 3520b. I have never seen any of our demonstrators use 50 rpm to turn, sand or finish.

some owners of the 3520b have posted that theirs turn off at 50 rpm, and they start to notice the "hunt' just a little before they get to 50. In turning 100 rpm is a snails pace, and I don't see much difference in sanding at 100 rpm or 200 rpm. I think folks can get hung up on this, when it does not amount to anything significant. [very, very minor difference with other machines, but makes no difference, imho]

when I posted on the other forum, my understanding of inverters was lacking, and have now come to understand the nature of the beast through the information given by an electrical engineer and tech support. the low rpm is the specs Grizzly has for their machine, and is not a defect or a design flaw. It has performed flawlessly for me. I hope this clarifies things for you, and that you do not feel hesitant because of any previous postings.

Here's a post of one of the turners, it was in regard to the new extencion that's available now for the CT 128 lathe, but note what he is saying about the speed he started turning the large bowl blank at.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have fun and take care

10. 50 or 100 rpm?

Hi all,

Just so no one misunderstands, I thought I would say that My question as to the difference in turning/sanding at 50 or 100 rpm and the difference it makes is mostly a preference of the individual, and not something that is a crucial issue.

I have turned out of balance blanks on my machine at 100 rpm and 180 rpm, and did not see much difference. It may make a difference to some, but this particular lathe [G0698] handled both without excessive vibration. the worst of the blanks that was really out of round and had a lip on it that I could not get cut off with my bandsaw, as it would not fit underneath the blade guard, was one that I had to just work the lip down with the gouge, and when I turned the speed up to 450, it started to vibrate, so I turned it back down to 180, and then proceeded to turn, and increase speed as it got truer.

I don't see much difference in sanding at 100 or 50 or 200 rpm. It [imho] is simply a preference of the individual turner, and is likely not to make any difference in the outcome of the project.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    In the grand scheme of things, I wonder is there a big difference in 50 rpms? ...... I have never seen any of our demonstrators use 50 rpm to turn, sand or finish.

...In turning 100 rpm is a snails pace, and I don't see much difference in sanding at 100 rpm or 200 rpm. I think folks can get hung up on this, when it does not amount to anything significant. [very, very minor difference with other machines, but makes no difference, imho]
    Hi Roger,

Sanding at 100 or 200 rpm's doesn't make much difference to me. However, I would really like to slow my 3520 down below 50 rpm for sanding on some pieces. When power sanding, I want the piece moving. When it has warped, I want it moving very, very slowly.

-Tony