Thread: Need help on proper form.

Need help on proper form.

I've heard many turners say "Let's chuck up this piece of wood and see what is inside."

But to end up with something that is pleasing to the eye, one has to start with some idea as to the proportions for the finished project. I've heard some that say that the widest section should be 2/3 the distance from the bottom to the top and the base should be 1/3 the diameter of the largest diameter.

So what proportions do you keep in the back of your mind when you start a turning?
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

Lots of conversation on this topic in the past.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...en+proportions

Start here.

Good Form

Yes the rule of thirds is a good place to start. The second good rule is to create good curves. A curve should be a continuous curve from beginning to end with no flat spots. Rim to foot, for example. Good Balance and good proportions are essential to good form.

Lots of turners will tell you that they just mount a piece of wood on the lathe and start turning. Whatever happens, happens. Some folks have an ability to "see" good form. Most, however, will do better if they observe a few "rules" of form.

When creating a form, I like to, at some point, remove the piece from the lathe and view it from all angles, upright, and also upside down. If it doesn't look right it probably isn't. A little tweaking here and there can often do wonders to improve the final form.

Having said all of this, as the saying goes, all rules are made to be broken. In the beginning however, it's probably best to stick with the "rules".

Wally
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 02-19-2010 at 11:59 AM.

I agree with Wally. Continuous curves, no flat spots. Stop, look, and visualize what you are trying to create.

Wally I had a gentleman who has been woodworking and turning about as long as you have at least about 48 yrs or so and he told me this about the golden rule. He said the definition of the "golden rule" is, "There are no rules." He said turn it till you like it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

i agree with Wally and Bernie, well said