Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a featherboard (opinions on Grip-Tite?)

Question Recommend me a featherboard (opinions on Grip-Tite?)

Just got my first table saw - Bosch 4100-09. Safety is of course a #1 concern and I think getting a reliable featherboard is in order. I did some research online and couldn't come to a single conclusion. Grip-Tite seems very appealing. Has anybody used it? Any other alternatives? I will be mostly cutting 4' x 4' sheets of 1.5" thick MDF into 1.5" square strips. In the future I might try ripping wood (probably fir, pine and cedar) so I'd like the featherboard be able to handle that as well. Thanks much.

Blog Entries
    I've owned grip tites for over 10 years and I use them all teh time. The hang by their magnets on the legs of my saw and I can easily put one or more on teh saw when feather boards are needed. In 2 seconds I can have teh guiding I need where I need it.

When I make raised panels I use my TS and the feather boards are key to making consistent panel cuts safely. I have other home made feather boards that get used occasionally, but all of them take more time to set up and remove than the Grip Tites. I also have a steel late from Grip Tite on the face of my fence so I can mount them sideways for super control while ripping. The small rollers will push the stock against the fence all the way through the cut.

What I like the most is that they are easy to use so they get used.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Won't it be kinda hard to attach the Grip tite to an aluminum saw?

Any of the magnetics are out as I think the Bosch has an aluminum table. After the magjigs my favorites are the Jessem featherboards, they are pretty innovative.

Oh and congrats Valentine on your purchase, keep us informed on your project!
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 02-19-2010 at 3:10 PM.

I bought Jessem too (and two) got the combo set at Woodcraft. Someday I will actually open and use them

Not sure if the Bosch has 3/4 mitre slots either. Could always make your own out wood, that is how I got my first feather board.

The grip tites I bought several years back also offered a metal/steel piece that covered the fence. This allows them to be used on the fence as opposed to the surface only. I use mine (on the fence as hold downs)everytime I use the tablesaw. I also use them on the bandsaw occasionally.

Jim

I use my Grip tite all the time. It's great, easy to move and adjust. But, yes it won't stick to aluminum.

The main reason for my reply. If you're doing 1.5" ripping, check into Gripper push blocks. They're pricey, but to rip small items, they are a real safety blanket for me. I also use them on my router, and they saved my fingers from a nasty kickback, so IMO they already paid for themsleves.... Buy 2, you have 2 hands.

Blog Entries
    I have grip-tites and have some pros and cons to mention:

Pros:
    - They grip well
    - Angled rollers do their job
    - Easy / fast to place & remove

Cons:
    - Only works on metal
    - Larger / higher profile than other featherboards (Jessem, etc.). A potential issue with some dust guards (handle protrudes into guard @ optimal placement position so you need to move the grip-tite forward).
    - Handles can get in the way when pushing stock thinner than the handle height through the saw. Other featherboards give you a more space to operate.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pyles View Post
    Not sure if the Bosch has 3/4 mitre slots either. Could always make your own out wood, that is how I got my first feather board.
    +1 for making your own

Easy to do and a good introduction to using a new TS. While your at it you can hammer out a couple push sticks. This will allow you to make them to suit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    I have grip-tites and have some pros and cons to mention:

Pros:
    - They grip well
    - Angled rollers do their job
    - Easy / fast to place & remove

Cons:
    - Only works on FERROUS metal
    - Larger / higher profile than other featherboards (Jessem, etc.). A potential issue with some dust guards (handle protrudes into guard @ optimal placement position so you need to move the grip-tite forward).
    - Handles can get in the way when pushing stock thinner than the handle height through the saw. Other featherboards give you a more space to operate.
    Fixed for you.

Bench Dog feather boards are on clearence at Lowe's now reg price was $24.97 now $12.47, they are clearing them out and will be replacing them with units from Kreg. They fit 3/4" miter slots.

As one poster said, you need for steel for the magnetic featherboards to work.

I recently handled and examined the below magnetic featherboards with an off/on switch at Woodcraft(??).

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,42356&p=55999

For the OEM web site with other models:
    http://www.mag-tools.com/

I also have a pair of older Grip Tites w/o the rollers, which hold very well but are a bit of a PITA to re-position because of the strength of the magnets.

With the magnetic type, offered by Lee Valley and other outlets, you just turn the off/on knob to reposition the featherboard. I'll order a pair very soon because of the ease in repositioning. And I’ve found that the easier something is to use/set up, the more I use it in the shop....

Jessem feather boards. Very well thought out and makes router table use a real breeze. Got the 2 board package at Woodcraft and plan to get 2 more. Sort of a pain to set up at first but when you get hang of it, no problem.

I use and like the ones that Rockler sells, have several of the fence featherboards and the table feather boards. I also have one that they call a double stack (IIRC). That one I use on the BS for resawing.

That table FB work with a 3/4 miter slot and the fence FB works with T-Slots.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"