Thread: Saw Files

Saw Files

Ok as my last sharpening session demonstrated to me I really need to replace my aging saw files. Most are flea market or garage sale finds with really bad self made handles. So I went shopping an lo' an behold the BORGS do not stock a full selection of saw files. Sears had the best selection but only three useful sizes all with a black oxide coating.

So I looked online and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the files from either Traditional Woodworker, Vintage Saws, or TFWW. I have dealt with all of these companies in the past and know that they are all stand up companies. I am just interested in the particulars about the files. Cost is almost equal across the board so that the $10 or $20 isn't a big difference in a total set with handles.

I do have the one from Joel @ TFWW and they work great, i think they are realy good quality files!

The Grobet files from Vintage Saws and TFWW are the best available.

Cheers --- Larry

Ordered a full set from Peter along with new handles. Of course since I blame Peter for starting me down the slippery slope I probably should have ordered from Joel. Joel will still get my 3M paper purchase if I don't just bite the bullet and buy some Arkansas stones.
    Last edited by James Ogle; 02-19-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Slope not slop unless I plan on visiting the coast this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by James Ogle View Post
    Ok as my last sharpening session demonstrated to me I really need to replace my aging saw files. Most are flea market or garage sale finds with really bad self made handles. So I went shopping an lo' an behold the BORGS do not stock a full selection of saw files. Sears had the best selection but only three useful sizes all with a black oxide coating.

So I looked online and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the files from either Traditional Woodworker, Vintage Saws, or TFWW. I have dealt with all of these companies in the past and know that they are all stand up companies. I am just interested in the particulars about the files. Cost is almost equal across the board so that the $10 or $20 isn't a big difference in a total set with handles.
    One doesn't really buy antique or vintage saw files unless they are obviously unused. The number of sharpenings you'll get out of a new file depend on the size of the file and how much face is exposed to the tooth. It's possible to get two honings per face if the tooth height is less than half the file face's width when the file is placed in the gullet in its honing position.

Don't skimp on files. They're cheap, relatively speaking. Always have a fresh face, or portion thereof, exposed to the tooth. Files are disposable, like used sandpaper.

In addition to the vendors you have already listed, you can purchase a variety of saw files in the sizes you need from The Best Things, http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/nicholson_saw_files.htm; Lee Valley, http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32952&cat=1,43072,43089&ap=1; Lie-Nielsen, http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1351. Every one of them takes seriously the tools they sell and attempt to find quality products for woodworkers. You can’t go wrong with any of them.