Thread: Whats the value of old Crafstman BS 113.24290, 1969

Whats the value of old Crafstman BS 113.24290, 1969

New at woodworking, tools etc. I can boy this old band saw. Model number 113.24290, according to OWWM the print date of the manual is 1969. I have not yet seen the saw, but I am told that it is in good working condition. I am not sure about what kind of projects I might use it for just yet, but do not want to pass it up if it is a bargain at $150. I don't know how to determine value. Of course more importanly can I expect it to perform reasonably well? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. There is a photo at OWWM.

I have one of these Band Saws. I used it infrequently for many years for occasional light curved work, never tried resawing with it. Mine has a metal stand open on two sides. It worked fine for what I used it for.

Currently it's disassembled, some of the parts have been cleaned, I have new bearings for it and will hopefully finish restoring it one day. It's one of those projects that got put on the back burner.

I would think that for $150-250 you should be able to find a decent, newer 14" BS on CL that would be a better saw and allow you to do more tasks than this saw can comfortably handle.

Also keep in mind that you may have to replace the bearings.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I had a benchtop bandsaw, probably 10 inch wheels, for long enough to believe I didn't want a bandsaw. Finally I was convinced that a 14 inch bandsaw was minimum size (not only for the width you can cut, but for the amount the blade has to bend around the wheels. I got a Jet, then a Grizzly G0555 (which I still have), now up to about $500 new. You might expect to find a used one, maybe 5 years old, for $250.

I believe the 40 year old Craftsman you are looking at is a 12 inch. I would not consider it a bargain at $150

I too would pass. I'd take a chance if they were asking $50. But at $150 the seller either doesn't know better or is shooting for the stars in hopes of hitting the moon.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

I would pass also. I picked up a Delta 14" open stand with a Kreg fence, and a bunch of extras for $150 2 years ago. Good luck with your band saw search.

Thanks all, I passed on it...I'm learning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Giordano View Post
    Thanks all, I passed on it...I'm learning.
    Good decision IMHO. I sold that saw with a half dozen TW blades, cool blocks, some other aftermarket stuff and a mobile base for around $125. a couple years ago.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler