Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Kitchen..

Cherry Kitchen..

OK, it is about 99% done. The last things to do are the toe kicks and the glass in the door. I used the toekick material for the background behind the crown and the glass just came in today.

Today went pretty well. Had one pc of crown we had to take down because of plain stupidity. We put it up and noticed that the right end seemed off. We pulled it down and moved the triangle block up 1/4". It was wrong to do so technically, but it made it look correct so it was the right thing to do. We also noticed that we needed to put up a cherry plywood backer so you couldn't see the wall ceiling joint. We put the crown up and stood back. BIg set of dummies. We forgot to put the backer up. Took the crown down once more and put the backer up and the crown up for the third time. The rest of the day went pretty smooth.

Here are some pics.

Very nice.

Nice job! I love the natural look of cherry.

What kind of finish was used? Andy
    McCormick Woodworking
    Liberty Indiana 47353

3 coats of Satin MLC MagnaMax, precat laqcuer.

Great looking cabinets! I just love cherry left natural like that. Very nice.

VERY nice. what's with the gap between the crown & ceiling? hidden lights?

Ceiling is plus of minus an inch. Too much to have the variations show on the cabinet upper rail. The client and I discussed it and we decided it would be better to have the upper rail have a consistent reveal that the crown following the ceiling. After putting the crown up I was surprised at how much more the ceiling was out than I had originally anticipated. It was horrible, but the walls were actually much worse. The cabinets by the door had a 1 1/4" scribe on them to account for the wall being flat for 4' out of the corner and then dropping back a little over an inch. Nightmare install. And all the walls, floors and ceiling were the same way.

If I had been in an 18th century home I would have expected it. But this is a 1950's house and the walls/floor/ceiling should have never been this bad.
    Last edited by Leo Graywacz; 02-20-2010 at 2:22 PM.

then the install is even more impressive that i first thought.

(gotta wonder about the basic structure with those kind of tolerances ...)

On the first picture, the open shelving cabinet. From the side up against the wall going from the top down, the cherry lies flat on the wall until the middle shelf. By the time you get to the bottom shelf there is a 1/2" gap. The walls don't have nice bows in them. They all of a sudden go from straight to crooked with no rhyme or reason. Don't have a clue what is behind the walls, but I know I never want to see it.

Very nice Leo!

Nice job on the kitchen! My wife wants me to do our cabinets with a finish similar to that. However, I do not have the equipment or place to spray on a finish. How can I get a finish similar to this without spraying a finish?
    Last edited by Mike Conley; 02-20-2010 at 8:52 PM.

Leo....

WOW!

Awesome work!

-jj

Very attractive work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

15. I don't know Leo ,that crown just looks like shit,I still would have dropped it down a inch or two and scribed a flat to the ceiling ,you got off easy.

Whats the HO's # I need to talk to him ?

Just Joshing ya ,you get your panties all in a bunch to easy.

Your work is top quality as usual.