Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spalted Maple NE

Spalted Maple NE

Cut the blank for this out of a maple crotch from my wood pile a month ago then put some anchorseal on it. I flattened it with the chainsaw a little bit on the bark side. Can’t remember why now. Maybe to get it through the bandsaw. Didn’t know what I was going to make with it at the time. Wished I hadn’t now as a couple of spots are flat as you can see in the first picture and shouldn’t be.
    2-19-10 Spalted Maple NE 006.jpg2-19-10 Spalted Maple NE 002.jpg2-19-10 Spalted Maple NE 007.jpg2-19-10 Spalted Maple NE 008.jpg2-19-10 Spalted Maple NE 014.jpg

Seems like a silly question but with what and when do you sign your pieces? Tried my jr high woodburner for the first few, a permanent marker, and a pencil. The AO seems to dissolve all but the burnings if write before I put on the finish.

Spalted Red Maple 11 x 4 x 5/16 finished with 5 coats of AO - so far

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Baxter, that is an awsome piece. Looks great flat spots and all! I just started signing "Cindy Drozda" style, using a vibrating engraver and colored wax, looks great. Found from another creekers post.

http://www.distinctiveturnings.com/t...odturnings.pdf

beautiful, nice job.

Baxter - Great work!

Gary - Thanks for the link!

Great looking piece and beautiful wood Baxter. Well done.
    Richard in Wimberley

Really nice piece Baxter. I was hoping some more would pipe up about the signing issue. I usually get in too much of a rush to get a finish on a piece and I forget to sign it. I would like to find something that works after the finish. Maybe the engraver might work.
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

Mark it works better after the finish is applied as the wax buffs right off.

I sign mine with archival ink before the finish is put on. I let it sit a few minutes and then apply finish. I use AO all the time, wipe on poly and lacquer doesn't seem to bother it. I bought a archival pen and ink at the hobby store.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    That is one really pretty piece. One of my favorites is Spalted Maple.
    Have a Nice Day!

OK Baxter... you're startin' to piss me off

Most of your posts start off with "I wandered out to my wood pile" and then you come up with this piece...

Great chunk of wood and great job of turning. Nice job!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    Cut the blank for this out of a maple crotch from my wood pile a month ago then put some anchorseal on it. I flattened it with the chainsaw a little bit on the bark side. Can’t remember why now. Maybe to get it through the bandsaw. Didn’t know what I was going to make with it at the time. Wished I hadn’t now as a couple of spots are flat as you can see in the first picture and shouldn’t be.
    2-19-10 Spalted Maple NE 006.jpg2-19-10 Spalted Maple NE 002.jpg2-19-10 Spalted Maple NE 007.jpg2-19-10 Spalted Maple NE 008.jpg2-19-10 Spalted Maple NE 014.jpg

Seems like a silly question but with what and when do you sign your pieces? Tried my jr high woodburner for the first few, a permanent marker, and a pencil. The AO seems to dissolve all but the burnings if write before I put on the finish.

Spalted Red Maple 11 x 4 x 5/16 finished with 5 coats of AO - so far

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
    Pretty piece Baxter, the flat parts you can shape a bit with knife and sandpaper, and then touch with a burner for a second.
    I have settled on burning my name etc on my turnings, can do it before or after finishing and never a problem with it disappearing
    Have fun and take care

Nice job Baxter.

very nice....

!!!WOW!!! Baxter you go man.

Very nice. I honestly would not have thought anything about the flat spots except for you pointing it out. Even then, it really did not matter at all.