Thread: New wood now advice on new tools

New wood now advice on new tools

I have been turning for a very little bit but have been using bens best turning tools. I did not buy them they just were included when i got my first lathe.

But now I am collecting very nice wood and some bowl blanks that do not want to be turned at all. I know I need new tools but cannot afford the sorby high end or even medium end stuff.
    I am looking at the woodriver 8 piece HSS set for 229.99 they also have a 15 percent off sale coming up.
    145914 is the item number and I am wondering if anyone else has used these with good outcome.

As alwasy thanks for any feedback
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Karl - not doubting that some of your new bowl blanks would be difficult to turn - especially if very dry wood - but I do question whether it is the tools. I started off with a Benjamin's Best bowl gouge and it worked great - as long as it was sharp.

You mention you have turned a little. Any chance your difficulties could be technique? Only asking because there are any number of things that can make turning a bowl difficult - the tool is only one of them.

Just trying to save you some money on tools if they are not really needed at this point.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    I know I need new tools
    How do you know this? Are you having problems with your present BB tools?

Most folks advise against buying sets, as there will usually be two or three tools you will never use. With experience you will learn what specific tools you really want/need. The same $229 will get you three top quality Thompson tools that will do 95% of your turning.
    Richard in Wimberley

tools

Karl I'd suggest you look at an "Ellsworth" gouge ( you can get it from him or from most of the other shops. Then buy his book and learn to use his technique. It is easy and the whole thing would cost you less than $100. His gouge lets you work on bowls, spindles, and end grain hollowing for bowls. great all around tool. You do need to learn to sharpen it and his jig is also well worth the $.

tools

Karl I forgot to mention that the BB tools are not all that bad. You do need to keep them sharp and do it often. They will tackle almost any of the woods you want to work on if they are sharp.

Karl I got a set of BB tools. I still use the majority of them although I now have more expensive tools such as Thompson's, Hamlet, Sorby, etc. The BB bowl gouges are good gouges and I use them all the time with no problems. If your tools aren't sharp and you have some pretty hard wood I have to question like Steve and Richard if it is actually the tools. I wouldn't buy another set again as I buy tools now for whatever I need for the situation or turning I am doing. I have 3 Thompson tools that do like Richard said 90% of the turning I do for about $150. I would also recommend Bill Grumbine's DVD on Turned Bowls Made Easy. He shows you most of the cuts you need and the proper technique for bowl turning.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

FYI guys, several of the PSI Benjamin's Best turning sets are out of stock at present, including these 2:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LXWM1007.html
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html

The first one is the one that is recommended in a couple of those "getting started for $600" lists. I tried to order it the other day before the website said it was out of stock and PSI called me the next day (very nicely, much appreciated) and gave me the bad news. Sounded like mid-March before they are back in stock.

I went ahead and picked up the HF cheap set and will bolster it with a quality bowl gouge. I think I want to pick up a decent bedan as well.

I am sorry guy I am not knocking bb tools. It just seems that to get a really good clean cut I have to sharpen and sharpen and then some more.
    I have a claro walnut bowl here that seriously a couple of times around the bowl and it is sharpen time again. I do admit that it is a very untypical piece of wood but it seriously is just that "time" to upgrade... wife is even for it soooo that is a big yes. I do have a couple of BB tools that really feel good in the hand for certain things but I have very short handles and really wanted to upgrade to HSS. It isnt like I will be throwing away the older tools though..
    I do however appreciate the concern and I most definitely will take the advice and do some reading and watching in order to better the techniques.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Karl - I must have missed that part about your tools being older. The BB bowl gouge that I have is HSS and holds an edge for quite a while. It is fairly cheap for a bowl gouge and is why I started off with one. If your tools are carbon steel - then I totally agree that it is time to upgrade to HSS.

Not knocking any brand of tools - but for the money - this is a great starter bowl gouge. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX230.html
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

No problem Steve. I have to learn to get better at describing the complete situation. My mind knows what I am thinking but my hands dont alwasy write concise statements..lol..