Thread: scoops

scoops

I haven't had much lathe time lately. With the hour here and there I've been messing around making scoops. I roughly followed the procedure Richard Raffan describes in his Turning Projects Book. They are fun little quicky things to make, so I thought I'd share. Try one with a bit of scrap. Left to right Honey locust, apple, and ebony.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sean those are great looking scoops. Well done. I need to try to do some as I have had some people ask.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice scoops Sean, Richard Raffan makes it look easy in his video but I have ruined a few!

Good looking scoops. The bowl and the eggs aren't bad either.

Sean, really nice pic with the bowl, eggs and scoops! Nice work, nice art!

Really like the scoops, and you are first class with an EBONY scoop! Not everyone owns one of those! Please send me some of your scrap ebony!

Thanks, all. You are too kind. I'm finding that like most everything in turning, the difference between ok and great is in the details and nuances. I think these scoops are ok, but it will take another 50 I'm guessing before I have some that I'm really satisfied with.

John, I've amassed a few board and sticks of ebony here and there for use as accents (G&G square pins, knobs, etc.). This was a 5 inch offcut that I think had been slated for knobs at one point, but because of a check (that I could turn out in the handle area) I decided to make a "high class" scoop.

Scoops all look great! I do think that is the first Ebony scoop I have ever seen! Pretty cool!

As a variation to the same style of turning - try turning a spatula. Turned a few of those years ago and we still use them everyday.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks, Steve. As a beginner, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to use ebony. I just thought the black would make a nice contrast with sugar or various spices.

I'm also a bit of the mind that I get such precious little time to do my woodworking hobby, that I'm gonna use whatever wood is on the pile that tickles my fancy. I love trying new woods for various projects and finding new favorites. Even using good wood, it's still cheaper than a lot of other hobbies and vices.

I definitely have some more utensil treen on my list. It sems like it will be good to go along with bowls I hope to give as gifts.

Nice looking scoops! I like the ebony very much, and I agree that it would provide a nice contrast to sugar/flour, etc.