Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Money program for home. Mint or Gnuchas?

Money program for home. Mint or Gnuchas?

I have used MS money for years. Looking for something different. Does not have to be some huge powerful package.

MS Money has been discontinued as of this year.

http://www.mint.com/ looks very interesting but putting all your info on-line does not sound like a good idea. Any users with thoughts?

www.gnuchash.org- What little I have read , looks to be something of interest. Any users with thoughts?

Any other program you like?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Being a huge fan of open source, i would lean towards gnucash. That being said the learning curve is not shallow.
    Paul

What do you want to do with it?

We use Quicken basic for most of our needs.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    What do you want to do with it?

We use Quicken basic for most of our needs.
    Just to keep track of all my accounts. Amount, interest rates, cd due dates, Stock info. I just used MS Money and put everything in a asset acount, then manual update each month with new values.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have been using Mint for the around 4-5 months and I've really like it. The biggest limitation to me is the budgeting in Mint. They have a great iPhone app too.

I don't have any concerns with the all my data financial data at Mint. Just need to have a good strong password.

homebank may be worth looking at as well.
    Paul

I have used Quicken practically "forever" and it's never let me down. Intuit also owns Mint now, if I'm not mistaken, so it will be interesting to see if it stays as an option.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I have used Quicken practically "forever" and it's never let me down. Intuit also owns Mint now, if I'm not mistaken, so it will be interesting to see if it stays as an option.
    Quicken does own Mint.

What is your opinion on the security of using Mint?
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post

What is your opinion on the security of using Mint?
    Probably not much more dangerous than using TurboTax or any other service like that.

I've heard that the security for Mint is quite good (even armed guards outside the data center, etc) - I'm sure Quicken realizes the PR problems they'd have if there was a data leak...

Yes, but the safest data is data that never leaves your computer.
    Paul

11. I know you said that you're looking for something different, but is there any specific feature that's missing from your current software?

I'm still using my same version of Quicken from 2000. It does what I need. The thought of changing to something else makes me queasy (lost records, new learning curve, etc.).

But then again, I could be missing out on something useful!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark P. Miller View Post
    I know you said that you're looking for something different, but is there any specific feature that's missing from your current software?

I'm still using my same version of Quicken from 2000. It does what I need. The thought of changing to something else makes me queasy (lost records, new learning curve, etc.).

But then again, I could be missing out on something useful!
    The MS Money program does what I want it to do but MicroSoft ,as of 2010, has discontinued the program. They recommend Quicken but was reading reviews on Amazon and people don't think much of the new program.
    Very disappointed.
    - Rick Dale

We are in the same boat. I've been using Money since I graduated from college and actually switched banks one time because they dropped Money support. We are switching to Quicken soon. I didn't even think of looking around for 2 reasons. First, support from the manufacturer I want to be able to call tech support "right now" if we have a problem. Second support from the bank. We use the direct connect or whatever its called method to download transactions and pay bills.

Supposedly the market for finance software has shrunk due to the online services banks are providing. But they don't allow you to manage multiple institutions and it leaves them holding your data.

Costco has a pretty good price on Quicken if you are a member or know one.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    We are in the same boat. I've been using Money since I graduated from college and actually switched banks one time because they dropped Money support. We are switching to Quicken soon. I didn't even think of looking around for 2 reasons. First, support from the manufacturer I want to be able to call tech support "right now" if we have a problem. Second support from the bank. We use the direct connect or whatever its called method to download transactions and pay bills.

Supposedly the market for finance software has shrunk due to the online services banks are providing. But they don't allow you to manage multiple institutions and it leaves them holding your data.

Costco has a pretty good price on Quicken if you are a member or know one.
    Looks like Quicken is the only option left for the most part. Have you read the reviews on Amazon? Tons of reviews and hard to find one good word for the new stuff.
    - Rick Dale

Dave,

We use a very old Basic version of Quicken. I hope we don't have to update when I replace this computer.

My bookkeeper/CFO ....she is not too computer literate....and she has very little patience.

It took me years to convince her to use Quicken to find and correct problems with the checkbook. I don't even want to think I'll have to do it again for a new version or have to take over balancing the checkbook myself!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....