Thread: Dust collection for grinder

Dust collection for grinder

I'm trying to get back to the shop, seems an uphill effort. Anyway, one thing simply must be done: "dust" collection for the ginder. I've jury-rigged a hose here, and a hose there, with remarkably poor results. I have available everything from a 16 Gal. vac to a WAP vac to a 1.5HP Jet cannister-style dust collector. Would love some advice as to location of intake(s), power needed, etc. -- what's worked best for others. TIA!

I would be really worried about sending sparks or hot metal into a collector filled with fine sawdust and oxygen. Seems like a very volatile situation. Hello 911 what's your emergency?
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Please don't. If you happen to suck up a spark your DC with all that spinning, super fine dust becomes a bomb.

Here is a video of what happens when you add a spark to a cloud of dust:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvPL7KC1DEA

You should always clean up your grinder after it has all cooled down and there is no chance of sparks into your vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    I would be really worried about sending sparks or hot metal into a collector filled with fine sawdust and oxygen. Seems like a very volatile situation. Hello 911 what's your emergency?
    Yep, that's true, you're supposed to use a different collector for grinding than for wood. I could get a small collector dedicated to just the grinder, or empty the bag out at the end of the night (into the compost pile, no danger there). Gotta do something -- all that pink dust is driving me nuts.

Jamie,

I would not use your dust collector with your grinder.

I would be more worried about a smoldering fire starting than a bomb as a result of spark in your dc.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nope no dust collector on grinder. Accident waiting to happen. I could see about 2 o'clock in the morning a 3 alarm fire in the shop. I wear my Trend if I am doing any grinding.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ketell View Post
    Please don't. If you happen to suck up a spark your DC with all that spinning, super fine dust becomes a bomb.

Here is a video of what happens when you add a spark to a cloud of dust:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvPL7KC1DEA

You should always clean up your grinder after it has all cooled down and there is no chance of sparks into your vacuum.
    Are you speaking of the dust from the wheels? Surely that's not combustible!

Even if there's an arrangement that simply keeps the dust in a fairly circumscribed area, I'd be happy. I do other kinds of woodworking, so having that fine dust in a 5' R circle around the grinder just doesn't cut it. And in the hair, on the clothes, It's like ripping 6x6's without a blade guard or dust collection.

Jamie,

In that video the guys are using a flare and an air cannon to launch wood dust into the air. The flair is igniting the dust.

To the best of my knowledge there are NO investigated and documented cases of wood dust explosions in a home woodwork. There have been a number of cases where it was mistakenly believed electrostatic discharge started a smoldering fire in the DC but during interviews by investigators the people admitted they'd been using the DC with their grinder in the hours before the fire. The fire investigators determined in their opinion the fire was started as a smoldering fire as a result of a metal spark sucked into the DC and settling in dust in the collection device.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-21-2010 at 12:53 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

All that pink dust is the wheels disintegrating? Do you true up the wheels that much? Even with major shaping the most 'dust' is the tool steel. I just use my shop vac after everything is turned off and cool.