Thread: Questions about Vega 2600

Questions about Vega 2600

I justed ordered a new Vega 2600 with 2hp motor. The electrician needs to know what amp it's going to draw. And how long is the cord or is it hard wired? Thanks.

If no one answers this question for you, then I would suggest you call them or e-mail them:

217.963.2232 ~ 800.222.VEGA(8342)
    remvega@aol.com

I need to call an electrician too. My garage is poorly wired.

25A breaker with 14 gauge wire will work just fine.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Bob,
    Congratulations on your new lathe! This is Dick from the MIOH club...we spoke at the meeting in Blissfield on the 13th (I'm the one that has the 24" model Vega without the tailstock).

Did you go with the 2hp AC motor with variable frequency drive or the DC option? If you went the AC motor route, a 2hp AC motor should draw about 10A @ 220V (no more than 15A including the VFD). You will want to put it on a 20A breaker with 12g wire if the run isn't really long (less than 150 feet). 14g wire will be cutting it a little close. It only runs a few more cents per foot for 12g over 14g wire.

You don't want it to be hard-wired to your electrical circuit. You may want to unplug it during an electrical storm, etc. I don't know if the lathe comes with a cord/plug attached, but it is easy to change (if necessary).

I hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you need an extra set of hands to get it moved, unpacked, and setup at your place.

Take care,
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 02-21-2010 at 6:04 PM.

I have the same lathe. I have the AC 220 single phase motor. It's on a 20 amp breaker. The cord on mine was about 6 feet long, with no plug.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

quote "25A breaker with 14 gauge wire will work just fine"

John,

I sure hope that's a misprint...you meant 15A... right????

Thanks your help. Dick, I went with the D C motor. I should be getting it the first week in March. I'll let you know how it gos at the next meeting. I will be joining the club.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Chester View Post
    quote "25A breaker with 14 gauge wire will work just fine"

John,

I sure hope that's a misprint...you meant 15A... right????
    Or something...

For the none electrical types, trying to put 25 amps through a 14 gauge wire is asking for the wire to get warm, hot or burn through. 14 gauge is only rated for 15 amp. 12 gauge is rated for 20 amp and 10 gauge is rated at 30 amps (for most use, yes I know there are lots of other checks)

IMO, with line losses, a 20 amp, 12 gauge system is maybe a bit low for a 2HP motor (talking 120 service of course).

Of course most 2HP motors are 220V, the advantage is there is less line sag at 220 and the motor runs cooler and produces more consistant speed and power (again there are exceptions)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.