Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Kind of Cherry is this?

What Kind of Cherry is this?

A guy I work with gave me some logs from a Cherry tree he cut down from his yard. Is this what Cherry typically looks like? Can anyone tell me the species based on these pictures?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It certainly looks like a Wild Cherry to me.

I've turned a boatload of cherry. I would recommend turning the pith out. It's photosensitive so it will get quite a bit darker with age. That looks like an ornamental variety.

It looks like you have some decay - cherry doesn't seem to spalt, ut if you catch it early enough the decay is stable and looks like rust. If the rust is grainy, you can stiffen it up a LOT by flooding it with CA glue and letting it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Some of the other stuff looks like "gum" pockets. I think of them as a nice feature. Some of that might also be early growth burl.

Nice looking bowls!
    Change One Thing

Eric, are you "drying" them on your grill?? I haven't worked with a lot of cherry, but it certainly doesn't look a lot like wild cherry to me. But, the inclusions could be some form of blight, too.

In any event, nice bowls!! They will darken nicely, and the forms look good.

Really nice looking bowls. It doesn't seem like wild cherry to me. I had the neighbor that lost his cherry tree that he had gotten from one of the seed catalogs many years ago. Anyway we don't know if a freeze killed it or some type of disease got it. Anyway the wood looks just like yours and had some gum pockets. Pretty wood and will darken with age.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I agree, looks to be a some type of Cherry. Good score there, and a nice job on the turnery.

Nice work Eric, yes you have Cherry with some brown rot in it, still in the early stage and it will stop when the wood dries, soft spots you can solidify if needed,
    Could be Black Cherry , but hard to tell, and it doesn't really matter, they all will darken up with exposure to sunlight ;-))
    Have fun and take care

Nice bowls. I think it's wild cherry myself.My 2 cents worth.
    Donny

Are the bowls wet or dry wood?

Cherry

I believe what you have there is called pin cherry.

I said I would not do this but....

It is most likely black cherry that has a lot of pitch or sap pockets in it. Some trees depending on the soil it is growing in and the amount of moisture it recieves it will get the sap pockets in it. Not sure if it is pin cherry looks to large for that. I did a sawing job for a guy all black cherry, with my woodmizer and he had a few trees that were full of the sap pockets, which sometimes create "Shakes" in the tree and may split apart. The guy had us saw for 2 weekends and he ended up with about 4500 bd of lumber with some of the boards being 15" across 8' long and not one blemish in them. I asked what he planned to do with it and he said sticker it and let it dry in the shed until his grandkids were old enough to use it, it is probably in the shed still and that was over 10 years ago!

Have fun,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Where is that shed exactly, hmmmmm?

From the size of the growth rings, which look pretty big to me, I would guess it is one of the flowering/ornamental cherry trees. Usually heavily watered and fertilized, so they grow faster than other trees.

robo hippy

I turned some weeping cherry that was very similar to that, and yes it was spalted.