Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a tractor today!

Bought a tractor today!

I promised myself when I finished up my chid support payments I would buy myself a tractor. Last payment was made last month.

I looked for nice old iron for over a year but didn't find anything that fit the bill at a reasonable price so........

I bought a new New Holland T2320, 45 hp., fwd gear model with a TL250 quick change loader, R4 tires loaded with WinterGard, and a set of forks for $20,600 with 0% financing on the balance.

Too good a deal to let slip by, and I am excited by all the work I will no longer have to do the hard way. It has a lifting capasity of just over 2k so will allow me to sell my forklift that was only good on pavement.

Boys and their toys indeed...........

Talking You can't prove to me it happened

Ok, so you should already know we are not going to beleive you without Pictures
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]What does a pirate dawg say?

Larry,
    Life without a tractor is similar to a life without woodworking tools. I have a 1965 John Deere 2010 that I paid twice the 1965 new retail price. It has problems but it has served me well. Should have bought a new one. By the time I get around to buying a new tractor I will have paid almost as much as a new one cost for my 2010.
    Great gloat.
    David B

I have a 1990 Ford 1720 with loader. 2wd gear tractor. Could have used 4wd this weekend moving fill up a slope and dumping over the fence. I sure do get a lot done with that thing. I turned over 6 cu yds of compost Saturday and it took 15 minutes. I hate to think how long with a shovel. Also filled in a trench after repairing my broken main water line (trench was dug by hand) and used the rake to scrape up old vines from my wife's gourd patch from last year. A nice tool.

I just sold my little tractor on friday, because I havent use it in a while, its only monday and Ive needed my tractor three times, so now Im looking to get another one
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

On our arm we had a 50 or so year old Ford 9N. What a machine. It was the most reliable vehicle we ever owned. We actually considered keeping it after we sold the farm.
    Paul

I own a Kubota BX 1500 4WD with a loader that came with 2 sets of tires and had only 50 hours on it. It is small but still pretty handy to have around and I can't imagine not having a tractor.

I have been building my own implements for awhile, I have a pulverisor under construction in my shop right now and hope to have it competed by Spring time. I'm at the point of drilling all the holes for the flat bar spikes which is my least favorite thing to do

This thread just makes me miss the old farm even more. I need to move out to the country a.s.a.p. My wife might not like the drive, but at least I would have room for a tractor.

Keith,
    Your 1500 probably has as much or more usable horsepower than my 2 wheel drive John Deere that was listed when new at close to 40HP. I have a local Kubota dealer that I drive past frequently and every time I do I drool. I would like to have a tractor with over 50HP but can't justify the expense.
    It is amazing how often I use my FEL to do work that I could never accomplish on my own.
    I haven't started making my own implements yet but I have the steel and am waiting for the right plasma cutter to come along.
    David B

I keep seeing Bobcats for sale on Craigslist for around 5K to 7K.
    would like to have one BAD!!!

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Congratulations, Larry.

While I own a smaller machine, (Kubota BX-22 TLB), it's absolutely a workhorse and as you say, makes life a whole lot easier. Enjoy your new "tool"!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a TC33 (Boomer) New Holland and I love it. The only mistake I made was not getting the quick detach and a set of forks. We use the loader for unloadng Semis almost as much as for dirt work.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

btw: those bob cats can really tear up a yard.

and not just with its loader. Those skid stears do a number on the grass.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Dave L,
    I looked at Bobcats when I was shopping for a tractor thinking that it would do what I needed. After talking to people and thinking what I really needed a tractor for I realized that a Bobcat style piece of equipment sat too low to the ground and I would spend most of my time getting stuck. They are great when they are used for what they were built for.
    I do wish I had a Bobcat style accessory attachment on my John Deere.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Keith,
    Your 1500 probably has as much or more usable horsepower than my 2 wheel drive John Deere that was listed when new at close to 40HP. I have a local Kubota dealer that I drive past frequently and every time I do I drool. I would like to have a tractor with over 50HP but can't justify the expense.
    It is amazing how often I use my FEL to do work that I could never accomplish on my own.
    I haven't started making my own implements yet but I have the steel and am waiting for the right plasma cutter to come along.
    David,

I agree wholeheartedly about how useful the loaders are, even the small ones are worth their weight when there is work to be done. I can hardly remember having to unload my truck or trailer without the loader and I move pallets around the yard loaded with everything from cinder blocks to stacks of roof shingles. I built a set of trash forks that bolt onto the loader bucket, they aren't pallet forks but they work pretty good. I also use the trash forks in the woods cleaning up brush and pulling thorns and briers from the bushes and trees. I was surprised how well my little BX could pull a four foot box blade in 4WD.

Since my Dad passed away I work alone most of the time and the tractor is sure handy when you don't have another pair of hands on the job.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-23-2010 at 1:05 AM.