Thread: Am I going crazy?

Palos Hills, IL (southwestern suburb of Chicago)

Am I going crazy?

First, that was a rhetorical question.
    My faithful Delta tenoning jig fits perfectly in my Delta table saw. This past Fall I bought a used Craftsman table saw because it gives me "MORE POWER."
    I pulled out my 20 year old great condition Delta tenoning jig and could not fit it in the miter saw slot. Are these slots proprietary. The slot is clean--not rusty or dirty, but it will not allow the jig to enter into its sacred territory. Am I going to have to make a separate miter slot rail?

Signed, Frustrated in Goodells!

Pictures might be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Clark View Post
    First, that was a rhetorical question.
    My faithful Delta tenoning jig fits perfectly in my Delta table saw. This past Fall I bought a used Craftsman table saw because it gives me "MORE POWER."
    I pulled out my 20 year old great condition Delta tenoning jig and could not fit it in the miter saw slot. Are these slots proprietary. The slot is clean--not rusty or dirty, but it will not allow the jig to enter into its sacred territory. Am I going to have to make a separate miter slot rail?

Signed, Frustrated in Goodells!

Not all miter slots are created the same. Consider them more like a nominal 3/4. Though I have never seen them less than 3/4, looks like a reason to buy a new tool.

One reason I got rid of my C-man TS was the narrow miter slot. Nothing unusual.
    I think they're closer to 9/16".
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Randall, Ive heard that some of the craftsman saws had a smaller miter slot....maybe some one with that saw will jump in...
    one thing to look at would be, see if the rail under the jig is removeable...if it is you will be able to put on the right size one
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Yeah, I've also heard that some Craftsman saws have narrower slots. Apparently they were designed that way - it's not a manufacturing issue.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Randall,

I feel your pain...

I had a similar thing happen when I tried my Delta tenoning jig on my SawStop. Although unlike yours the tenon jig did fit the miter slot, however the distance of the slot to the blade was wider...

I guess there isn't a "standard" on miter slots.

jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........

Often a new saw means new jigs, I get the distance from the blade as in the Sawstop issue but for the life of me I can't see a good reason for non-standard miter slot, maybe to save a few pennies on steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Often a new saw means new jigs, I get the distance from the blade as in the Sawstop issue but for the life of me I can't see a good reason for non-standard miter slot, maybe to save a few pennies on steel?
    I bet it's to sell Craftsman-branded accessories to users who don't know any better.

I know I was burned by being limited to only Craftsman-branded accessories for my first router set-up, so while my first table saw was also a Craftsman, I made sure it had full 3/4" miter slots.

Brian