Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Your Best Block Plane

I reach most for my Stanley 60 1/2 and my Sargent 507. I couldn't tell you which I use more, it depends on the type of work.

Blog Entries
    My best block plane is likely my LN 60-1/2.

Though it is not always the first one off the shelf for the job at hand.

Sometimes the cheapest hunk of iron on the shelf, Stanley 102, gets the work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground

My Best Block Plane

For years I used a Stanley 60 1/2 plane for everything and it did a good job at most things. A few years ago I was given the Veritas Apron Plane and it became a favorite where a tight mouth wasn't required. The size was very convenient indeed. I treated myself to a Veritas NX-60 and Skew Block Plane and I am set for life. The NX-60 takes some getting used to as far as the shape is concerned, but is surgically precise and I have used it with different blades a small smoother as well as a block plane. Definitely the winner for me. I still use the old Stanley with a LV aftermarket blade as my toolbox block plane when going to different jobs. But the NX-60 is the go-to plane where precision is concerned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

The only reason my NX60 Veritas plane seems slippery to me,is that after many decades of woodworking,using linseed oil,etc., my hands are very dry and slippery. I consider it the nicest modern design that anyone has come out with. Most others copy Norris,or old Stanleys. I commend Veritas for not doing that.

I use these small planes and they cover all my small plane needs.Knight Pocket Plane At 55deg.Mujingfang Small Plane at 45 deg.and LN 102 at 37 deg.I love all three.

My Stanley 220-12, made in England, has always done exactly what I have asked of it, and then some. It weighs a ton and has a standard blade but I would not trade it for any other plan. But then, I am not a Derek Cohen so my work standards are just average. Phil
    Philip

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    My LN 102 in white bronze covered with engraving is my favorite - -

Dave Beauchesne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Branson View Post
    I use these small planes and they cover all my small plane needs.Knight Pocket Plane At 55deg.Mujingfang Small Plane at 45 deg.and LN 102 at 37 deg.I love all three.
    Nice collection Bruce! I was wondering, do you think the 6mm blade in the Knight plane adds anything compared to the Mujingfang?

I don't want to hear any boos, but mine is an England-made Stanley G12-060 that I fettled a bit. Hey, it works. What else do ya need?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    I don't want to hear any boos, but mine is an England-made Stanley G12-060 that I fettled a bit. Hey, it works. What else do ya need?
    Bill
    at least 2 more.... ?

I keep both very sharp and I don't notice any difference.

Record 015

Okay, another late one to the party -- my Sargent 5307 (?). Not completely sure of the model. Knuckle cap, adjustable month etc. it has the screw adjustor under the cap, not on a rod that sticks out the end. It was my great grandfathers and the steel on the iron takes an edge like you wouldn't believe, it fits my hand perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Bill
    Me too. great little block. I like the easy lateral adjustment.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.